Guess the Location!

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Relatively modern brickwork (not medieval) so perhaps Napoleonic era? And the houses with the roof windows look a bit Continental Europe.
Not so modern, the work on this building started in 1547.
The Romans saw the strategic importance of this location. and were the first to fortify it.
Continental Europe is correct.
Over the centuries it has been occupied by Prussian, Dutch, and French forces. even the Spanish ruled for a short period.

alan1972

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan Grant
Over the centuries it has been occupied by Prussian, Dutch, and French forces. even the Spanish ruled for a short period.
So maybe not the Netherlands but part of what was once the "Spanish Netherlands"? Which I think covers most of modern Belgium and Luxembourg and small parts of France and Germany... maybe Belgium?

alan1972

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan Grant
So having ruled out Benelux the country must be Germany.

Is the city Geilenkirchen? I haven't had a chance to investigate if it has any matching buildings but it seems about the right location.

alan1972

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan Grant
Germany yes, the town of Geilenkirchen no.
Is the reference to "the town" a hint that it may be in the district of Geilenkirchen but not the town itself?

I am struggling with this one, as the area in general was once the Roman frontier any searches I do around that theme are not really helping to narrow it down, and I have not been able to find any reference to a building started in 1547.

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Is the reference to "the town" a hint that it may be in the district of Geilenkirchen but not the town itself?

I am struggling with this one, as the area in general was once the Roman frontier any searches I do around that theme are not really helping to narrow it down, and I have not been able to find any reference to a building started in 1547.
Hi Alan, time for some help. The reference to a town is just that, the location is in the middle of a town, not a city. and not Geilenkirchen.
Although the fortifications, because that is what they are, have a special name, probably derived from the word city, confusing or what.
The inner buildings are still in use today, as an academic secondary school, or as the Germans call it a Gymnasium.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom