Guess the Location!

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Jan, that's the hill right above your place and easily visible from here. But that's not how this game is played. Gotta guess the previous photo to get to post.

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
So it is not a species that I am familiar with so much is clear! It does not seem to be living here in Sweden.
That leaves me to try to narrow down the location, as @archaeopteryx said move it up a level, that would probably be to Canada and to BC and the Vancouver area but she also said it wasn't the Canadian SW so up we go...
Maybe Alaska and the Juneau area?

Oops, bedtime coming up, so if anyone can jump in, feel free! Otherwise I will be back tomorrow evening Swedish time.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
So it is not a species that I am familiar with so much is clear!
It's likely you've seen another individual of the species, possibly a quite a few, but trees (plants in general, really) are usually good at being nondescript if one's not paying attention.

@archaeopteryx said move it up a level
That I did. Whilst I didn't have geography in mind you're not too far off in latitude.

the needles in the foreground are very distinctive of this species
Well, to avoid potential confusion, they're distinctive (as photographed) primarily at the genus level. I'm tempted to raise certain other botanical caveats but that's the important one for now.

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
OK, @stagor said that all parts are poisonous, so I will abandon my search for Pacific Yew (Taxus Brevifolia) and look for Hemlock (Tsuga Canadensis) again, which I just discarded a couple of minutes ago.
And then I find myself on the northern Atlantic coast up to Nova Scotia, New England, along the Appalachians or around the great lakes.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
all parts are poisonous
This statement surprised me and, on a brief look through the toxicology literature, it doesn't appear to be supported. One popular source robust enough to provide references also fails basic fact checking. This is a bit awkward as I can't provide citations without giving @BosseBe the answer he's looking for so, for now, I would suggest just leaving it at this tree has a reputation for being poisonous.

Since there's some understandable confusion here let me amend an earlier statement: It's not in Pinus (leaves spirally arranged on fascicles), Picea (radial on pulvini), Juniperus (3, 4, 6, (8)-ranked), or Tsuga.

EDIT: I also just did a basic sweep and can find no evidence of toxicity in Tsuga. Assumptions otherwise appear to be conflation by common name with poison hemlock (Conium maculatum) (Earle), which is a herbaceous angiosperm rather than an arborescent gymnosperm. Considering I've spent the past three months frequently covered by detached or in direct contact with live Tsuga leaves, breathed in and been covered with I don't know much Tsuga bark dust whilst running a chainsaw or climbing trees, and eaten with spoons carved from Tusga mertensiana without any apparent ill effect this conclusion is consistent with my experience.

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm getting confused, I mean more than usually. ;)
So I'm back at Taxus, but maybe Canadensis and not Brevifolia. Then the area I mentioned would still hold up according to Conifers.org.
I'll make a wild guess and say South Manitou Island MI.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Taxus is correct and conifers.org is an excellent reference (I encourage anyone interested in trees to check it out). To integrate one of the earlier clues, neither T. canadensis or T. brevifolia is native to southern Sweden, though. The other three of the four hints in Stan's latest are all good, by the way.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom