Guess the Location!

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
The inscription on El sol de Cecilia y Alberto in Parque del Amor, Miraflores, Lima, Peru is "Tu de este lado y yo del otra como dos remos Cecilia y Alberto". It's from José Santos Chocano's De viaje but there are enough Cecilias and Albertos in Peru I've not yet worked out whom the names refer to.

The connection to San Francisco in 1965 remains unclear to me but it's normal I find Stan's hints cryptic. Whilst there's no shortage of Peruvian San Franciscos, 1965 marks the factionalization of the Movimiento de la Izquierda Revolucionaria. That isn't something I naturally associate with amor. Or parks. And it doesn't appear suns or a well known Cecilia, Alberto, or Franciso was involved.

Last edited:

alan1972

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan Grant
Perhaps Greece, if the partial word is Otrera (the Queen of the Amazons) and Aleandro is often a Greek name. They also like their mosaics (is that because they smash all those plates).
It is not in the Greek alphabet though - maybe a fragment of a Spanish phrase ("something del otro something")? And I thought it was Alejandro rather than Aleandro.

Edited to add: I had overlooked the previous post by archaeopteryx when I wrote the above so my comment is pretty much redundant...

alan1972

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan Grant
The connection to San Francisco in 1965 remains unclear to me but it's normal I find Stan's hints cryptic.
Something to do with summer of love / park of love? Although I think the summer of love was 1967.

there are enough Cecilias and Albertos in Peru I've not yet worked out whom the names refer to.
It looks like the park has quite a few similar things (inscriptions from poems combined with names of couples). Even in Spanish it is suprisingly difficult to track down why those names in particular appear - I don't think they are particularly notable people, maybe not even real people, or perhaps representative couples who were around at the time of construction.

Last edited:

RyanM

Mu-43 Veteran
The inscription on El sol de Cecilia y Alberto in Parque del Amor, Miraflores, Lima, Peru is "Tu de este lado y yo del otra como dos remos Cecilia y Alberto". It's from José Santos Chocano's De viaje but there are enough Cecilias and Albertos in Peru I've not yet worked out whom the names refer to.

The connection to San Francisco in 1965 remains unclear to me but it's normal I find Stan's hints cryptic. Whilst there's no shortage of Peruvian San Franciscos, 1965 marks the factionalization of the Movimiento de la Izquierda Revolucionaria. That isn't something I naturally associate with amor. Or parks. And it doesn't appear suns or a well known Cecilia, Alberto, or Franciso was involved.
Great work @archaeopteryx! Over to you

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
I think the summer of love was 1967.
It was and, while Stan later amended 1965 to mid-1960s, the limited awareness I have of the Summer of Love mostly sounds rather unpleasant and not very loving at all. I also just checked in Google maps and none of the parks in San Francisco, California seem to have Spanish names. From a little bit of looking one the riots during the Summer of Love was at Tompkins Square Park, which I guess manages to combine Parque and Amor, but really not in ways where my mind goes to Parque del Amor at all.

I don't think they are particularly notable people, maybe not even real people, or perhaps representative couples who were around at the time of construction.
My skill with Spanish I'm sure is less than yours but that's much my conclusion as well. For a bit I was thinking perhaps Cecilia and Alberto were characters in De viaje, which was partly why I looked up the poem.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Where in North America is this cirque? Bonus for describing the somewhat unusual kind of glacier present here.
P0003323 web.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RyanM

Mu-43 Veteran
The rock kind of reminds me of the Wind River range, but it seems too dry...

Maybe Colorado?

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
"glacier" is a bit of a stretch. More like a permanent snowfield from the avalanches off the face. A left-over from the ice age when it looks like the valley was carved.

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Wheeler Peak is the tallest mountain in the Snake range in Nevada,
Wheeler Peak has an impressive headwall (tallest cliff) above a large glacial cirque,
Wheeler glacier is an Alpine glacier.
More than 10,000 years ago, Wheeler Peak Glacier was a textbook glacier, a behemoth of dense ice jammed inside a mountain. Today, that’s no longer the case. Like an old-fashioned cooler, all that’s left of Nevada’s only glacier is an ice block insulated by tons of surrounding rock.

Last edited:

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
The rock kind of reminds me of the Wind River range, but it seems too dry...
There is some similarity in appearance, though I think not so much geologically. Drier, yes, probably by about a third based on 30 year precipitation normal maps for North America.

"glacier" is a bit of a stretch
I suspect you're thinking in terms of a conventional ice glacier rather than Wheeler Peak's rock glacier. I was careful to suggest above it wasn't the most common type of alpine glacier for this reason. Wheeler is within Great Basin National Park and the United States' national parks host are few other rock glaciers.

As something of an aside, I think Stan missed a citation for Roerink 2015.

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Who can name this glacier? I took this photo with a nikon 995 while on holiday a few years ago.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Looks like the Gepatsch Glacier east of Kaunertal, Austria with the Kaunertaler Glacier above it in the background. Nikon announced the Coolpix 995 in April 2001 and, based on the Gepatsch's retreat status, I was guessing 2002 or 2003. I see the EXIF indicates late August 2002.

The hanging valley above and to the left of the Gepatsch doesn't appear to currently have a glacier, though aerial images show some glide cracks in upper slope snowfields. Depending on the extent of mass wasting in the past 17 years it might have qualified as a glacier in 2002.

Last edited:

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
OK, here's one that I was going to put in the "tree" thread.

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
I could start a gnarly tree search to try to find a picture of this one, but let us start on another track.
So it looks like some kind of Pine or Spruce, maybe even some kind of Juniper.
All trees that favour a cooler climate AFAIK, so maybe NW US? Like Washington or Oregon?
It might be further north as the walls may give it protection to live further north.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Good idea. It's not in Pinus (leaves spirally arranged on fascicles), Picea (radial on pulvini), or Juniperus (3, 4, 6, (8) ranked) and it's not in the northwestern US or southwestern Canada, though the genus does occur there. Unlike Jan, this individual is located at a more northerly latitude than Washington but the location's climate is more significant than the walls. The species also occurs at latitudes south of Oregon.

Consider going up another level. ;)

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom