Guess the Location!

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
I checked round the southwestern coast from Portsmouth to Cardiff and didn't hit upon the right combination of piers, buildings, and sandy beach. Seems like this should be a relatively narrow estuary, river mouth, harbour named as such (given Stan called it a harbour), or perhaps cove. There's a limited number of such sites so probably I'm failing to see the right camera angle from the aerials.

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
I checked round the southwestern coast from Portsmouth to Cardiff and didn't hit upon the right combination of piers, buildings, and sandy beach. Seems like this should be a relatively narrow estuary, river mouth, harbour named as such (given Stan called it a harbour), or perhaps cove. There's a limited number of such sites so probably I'm failing to see the right camera angle from the aerials.
My camera was pointing NNE when I took this photo.
The boat that Martin thought was a lifeboat, is in fact a ferry.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
The ferry makes an effective filter, having a somewhat unusual colour combination for its paint. Also helps I'd some familiarity with UK ferries from another location earlier in this thread, so could rule out some of the operators a priori.

Which mountain is this? Bonus for naming both peaks.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Keeth101

Mu-43 Veteran
Kilimanjaro and Mawensi ?

If I am right, could someone take over as I haven't got anything ready yet. Unless you want to wait until tomorrow, that is. Thanks.

Last edited:

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush

RyanM

Mu-43 Veteran
Ryan, would you like to take the honours and put up the next photo, as you correctly guessed the second peak.
Quite undeserved, but I'll take a spin. Don't think this'll be too difficult. Where am I standing?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Don't think this'll be too difficult.
I was inclined to agree, but there is so much selling of suns, seacoasts, and tile I'm finding it quite difficult to construct search queries which prompt Bing or Google to return noncommercial results in either English or Spanish. The cliffs in the background are out of focus enough it's proving not simple to place them geologically, though it looks like the two spits are connected by a seawall on the shore with perhaps some development behind. That should be a distinctive feature and readily visible in aerial imagery but there's a great deal of such construction, which produces enough search noise to rather complicate identification of a particular search area.

Like Stan, I was inclined towards central California but, if California, San Luis Obispo Bay is the only structural match I'm seeing. The headlands there don't appear to be steep enough, though I'm hesitant over trusting StreetView for that. Portugal has some similar structures, particularly around Lisbon and Porto, and seems more likely to have underwater topography producing the wavebreak pattern shown. But I didn't see anything which looked to have right pier geometry and uplands.

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Like Stan, I was inclined towards central California
I wasn't referring to San Francisco as a possible location, I already know the answer. I was just waiting to see what others came up with.
The name of the location where the photo was taken, sounds like it could be in 1960's San Francisco.
BTW wouldn't you love to strangle "Aleandro and Katherine"

Last edited:

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Perhaps Greece, if the partial word is Otrera (the Queen of the Amazons) and Aleandro is often a Greek name. They also like their mosaics (is that because they smash all those plates).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom