Guess the Location!

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Not England. But yes a commercial port.
@BossBe's original question was whether it was south of England. I presume the answer to that is yes and my search area's currently the Mediterranean. If so, the shadows suggest this image is looking west and therefore somewhere with a coastline placing the Mediterranean to the south. The cranes indicate a container port but there aren't many ports which don't handle containers.

There was a large bowl shape behind me in the photo.
The above geometric reasoning would exclude the Bay of Gibraltar at Algeciras, Spain and values of large extending to the Mediterranean as a whole. It might be a turning basin for the port but the geometries of Genoa, Barcelona, Valencia, and Gioia Tauro don't seem to match. It could also just be a structure on land.

My point was that I did search, but didn't have too long to play with it. I really like the searching, even when we need clues, as I learn a lot about the world from this thread. But, I didn't have time to really keep going on this one.
Much the same here; too much else going on at the moment. It's easy to continue working round the Mediterranean coast testing the above ideas but I need to go do other things at the moment.

Again my FE geography is lacking, but I assume it’s either shallow bowl shaped to keep the water in, or the spinning of the earth keeps the water in.
My skill level is well below believing six impossible things before breakfast but I think, after one's managed to get round all the other evidence for spherical planets, ignoring oceans pouring off would be only a minor effort.

But wouldn't a spinning disc of Flat Earth throw out the water?
No, because flat earths do not have normal physics. There are several different societies with competing wikis but the one I looked at basically argued there's no evidence supporting inertia. It follows no shear force develops in rotating air masses or water bodies.

Ah, I just thought it out, Antarctica is the circumference and it is frozen, so no water can escape!
The wiki I checked asserted Antarctica is an ice wall holding the water in. Normal logic would therefore suggest some flat earther sects are extremely concerned by anthropogenic warming and the disintegration of the Larsen Ice Shelves. Flat earths seem also exempt from normal logic so presumably this isn't often of a concern but it does follow given sufficient inconsistency.

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
OK here goes, as for the crooked horizon please keep in mind I come from a country famous for having roads where the cars roll uphill in neutral.
Yes the location is south of England approx. 1300km. in a straight line from the south coast.
This photo was taken looking south west.
The large bowl shape is man made and approx. 1800 years old.

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well, Southwest facing north of Valencia, and shouldn't be to far as Valencia is about 1300km from the English coast. Tarragona was the first candidate and when I saw the Gazebo's on Google I was confident that I had found it.

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
So confident I actually started looking for a new picture to use.
So what is the name of the village where this can be found?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My concern is that I can't find if I have used this picture before, I can't see my attachments any longer.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
I think this would be Lovikka, Sweden but the references I've been able to find in Swedish have dead links, so I'm failing to find if Lovikka or the museum has a website. There is an article about the mitten in Atlas Obscura but it appears there was some loss in translation.
Guess the Location BossBe 10368.jpg

My concern is that I can't find if I have used this picture before, I can't see my attachments any longer.
I got lucky and got another image of the mitten booth as the first hit of the first search I tried, so if you have posted it elsewhere it didn't matter.

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes, Lovikka, Sweden.
When I was young, many years ago, we always had Lovikka mittens in the winters. Mine was made by my grandmother even if she wasn't from Lovikka.
Made from wool so they kept your hands warm even if you got them wet.
Over to you @archaeopteryx !
Searching for "Lovikka vantar" might bring up more info, although in Swedish.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
I'll leave it open for the other folks who mentioned being short of time a couple pages ago (@foxtail1, @pondball, @djtaylor7, @alan1972, @Glawsder). If none of them post in a few hours, consider it open to all.

Maybe that is because I'm not a original English speaker so i have problems to find the right words to search for.
I think mostly it just means you're not Stan. ;) I find this challenging too, particularly with some of the Irish coast and Netherlands waterways. It does get easier over time as one gets to know more locations as well as who is likely to post from which areas. For example, I knew this was very likely somewhere in Ireland much like I figured the mitten was probably Swedish even though I didn't know about Lovikka until today.

foxtail1

Science geek & photo nut
Real Name
Kristi
Geez, I'm away from the computer for 10 hours and miss two searches!

But, I've got one. Location?

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Probably a bit easy, but another castle. Anything it is famous for?

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Well done archaeopteryx.
I said it would be easy. This was another view.

Open to whoever wants to go.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom