Guess the Location!

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Time for another clue I think. This photo was taken on the same day and about 200 yards from the above B/W photo.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Aha. I was trying to get a match on the other side, looking in the promenade area.
A bit late for me now, so if anyone has something to post go ahead, otherwise I will look out something tomorrow morning my time.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Where was this photo taken, and the town in the distance? One will give the other.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Yes. Buxton in Derbyshire. The dome is just to the left of center and is the largest unsupported dome in the UK. Just behind it is the Palace Hotel. It is also my birthplace.
Photo taken from the top of Solomon's Temple, a folly on a hill to the south of Buxton.

Over to you.

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Where is this taken and what is the significance?
Extra points for the name of the place, otherwise I will accept the county.

I removed some text the gave it away.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
The eight flags are in circumpolar order and correspond to the member states of the Arctic Council: Canada, United States, Russia, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, and Greenland (well, technically, Denmark). This, however, is the Arctic Circle monument just south of Juoksengi, Sweden and one of many places where one can find some marking of where the Arctic Circle is. Juoksengi appears to be notable for offering a swim along the Arctic Circle to Juoksenki, Finland on the other side of the Torne River in the summer and a drive across on an ice bridge in winter.

It looks like the current version of the monument was built after StreetView imagery was acquired in 2009 but the road signs don't seem to have changed. I haven't been able to find information about why the Arctic Circle display was redone, which probably says something about my skills with Swedish, but perhaps it was associated with Sweden hosting the secretariat of the Arctic Council from 2011-2013?

Don't give much attention to these people though. Their easting is off by a rather spectacular 13.4 degrees.

Last edited:

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
I think mostly I can thank Mia Bennet's excellent Cryopolitics blog for familiarity with the Arctic Council, though the vegetation and highway signs were good indicators for Fennoscandia. I did spend a bit looking round the secretariat's campus in Tromsø to rule that out.

Which town is this? Bonus for describing its administrative arrangement.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom