1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Guess the Location!

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by barry13, Dec 14, 2015.

1. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I've been having fun in the Photo Association thread, and was thinking that it'd be fun to try to guess where other people's photos were taken...

Please REPLY to or TAG the poster (e.g. use the @ symbol in front of the poster's name) so that the poster gets notified of your answer...

The Poster should check back regularly (at least every 24 hours), and the Guesser with the best (first with the most specific and accurate answer, as determined by the Poster) answer should be tagged "Winner" and replied to... the Winner should then post a new picture for others to Guess the Location.

Posters - Please don't make it too hard...
    1. use images that include iconic or well-known symbols of the location.

2. make sure you remember exactly where the picture was taken, including the city/town or the name of the National Park or whatever... i.e. if posting a pic from Kenya, you should know which Reserve it was taken it.

3. if no one gets it right (at all, not even to the continent) within 24 hours, post a new image from the same location (and say it is so), or give a HINT (preferably point out something in the picture that is unique or iconic to the location).
    You don't need to wait 24 hours if there are already good answers... go ahead and pick a winner.

4. if no one gets it right (at all, not even to the continent) within the next 24 hours, post a new image of a new location, or PASS to whomever wants to go next.

5. make sure your image is publicly visible! (better to UPLOAD here than to link elsewhere)

But don't make it too easy:
    6. make sure the filename of your image doesn't give it away; change the name before uploading if it does. If it's linked to an image hosting site, make sure there's no description or geotags there.

If you can, upload your image to Google Reverse Image search and see if it is easily identifed.
    Reverse image search - Search Help
    If it is, consider another image.

7. obscure things in the image like the name of the City/State/Province on road or restaurant signs or license plates, etc.

8. If you think your image location might be easy, optionally offer 'bonus points', e.g.
    a. for identifying the location you shot from, if the image is of a large area
    b. for identifying year or season, if evident (new buildings present/absent; water or snow level, ...)

A guesser who gets the bonus point(s) would beat someone who only got the location, even if they posted later (but don't wait forever).

Guessers are permitted to post again to refine their Guess, but should not post multiple Guesses of different locations. Editing or Deleting Guesses is also not permitted.

Any guess is OK but the best/most specific & accurate will win... e.g. you can guess a country or continent, but if someone else has the state/province/territory or city correct they would win.

At the end of the round, Poster should specify the location if the closest Guess wasn't exactly right, and optionally embed an image (or post a link) of the location on Google Maps.

If a Winner does not have a suitable image for the next submission, PASS and anyone may submit next.

I'd like to keep this fairly fast-moving, sort of like the Photo Association thread (it can't be that fast though), so:
    9. If Poster views the thread, and there are good (e.g. close) Guesses, go ahead and choose a winner even if little time has elapsed.
    10. if this thread hasn't had ANY activity for 48 hours, OR has had Guesses but no replies from Poster for 48 hours; the previous post is EXPIRED, and ANYONE may restart it with a new image.

Images do not have to be taken with mu-43 hardware, and may be from any time period.

I'll start:
    E9161892.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    Queen's Road central, Hongkong

3. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    @Gerard@Gerard, wow that was fast, and you're really close!
    I'll wait awhile for any other guesses... you're welcome to try again too.

Barry

4. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    Wyndhamstreet/Hollywood Road, Hongkong Central

5. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Clarification... I've added a bit to the rules in my OP above.
    @Gerard@Gerard, since you already chose a street, I'll let you add a cross-street to your guess if you wish (since anything else would be a new guess).

Barry

6. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Not quite... I'll leave this open for a bit for any other Guessers.

I almost embarrased myself by not knowing what street this was taken on (I wasn't expecting such a precise answer!), however I've now figured out the exact intersection based upon the un-cropped version of this picture.

Barry

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  7. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    I think the cross street is Cochrane street.

8. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    Correction:
    6 D'Aguilar St, Central, Hongkong

9. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    Lets explorer what Google street view tells us ;)
    image.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

D'Aguilar between Queen's Road and Wellington St. First I looked for 7 Eleven. Too many. Then Sasa. Too many. Then Watson's Wine. A manageable number. Saw Sasa in Google Street View near one. Bingo! But Gerard beat me by 8 minutes.

Brian

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Well, that's certainly specific, and correct!
    For the record, I was standing across from the Hublot store at Stanley & D'Aguilar St.; I was facing SW up the hill.

upload_2015-12-14_16-39-3.

Gerard, you're up!

12. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I've added to the original rules a bit; going forward I think people should be allowed to narrow-down their guesses, but not change them.

e.g. this sequence is acceptable:
    first guess:
    "Kenya"

second guess:
    "Kenya - Maasai Mara"

Third guess:
    "Kenya - Maasai Mara - Keekorok Lodge"

Thanks!
    Barry

13. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    FWIW, some comments about why I chose this image:
    These taxis are iconic to Hong Kong and afaik unique; the same model Toyota (Crown Comfort) is also used for taxis in Japan & Singapore, but afaict they are commonly red only in HK.
    Also, the lack of modern Japanese writing in the image should eliminate Japan, and Singapore would probably have most signs in English.

Barry

14. Brian Beezley

I missed Stanley. I didn't use the map to identify the cross street. I just wandered down the street with Street View until I came to an intersection.

I was about to look up the taxi license plate when I decided that store names might be a better idea! I spent way too much time looking at Street View for innumerable 7 Elevens and Sasas. They are all over Hong Kong.

I was in Hong Kong many years ago on business. I remember the smell of oil everywhere.

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  15. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Cooking oils or vehicle pollution?

It's pretty clean now... HK & Taiwan are both beautiful compared to China (visited all three this fall).

Barry

16. Brian Beezley

I think the oil smell was from cars. It wasn't that strong and wasn't annoying. Just pervasive and something I'd never experienced before. This was in the late 1970s I think.

Brian

17. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    I knew it was HK because of the red Toyota Crown taxis. Second clue was the mid level staircase or escalator (I never succeed remembering what it is called in english), at the right of the photo. Then I knew where to look. Apparently that gave me a 8 minute headstart over Brian :)
    I also looked for seven elevens and Sasas.
    ITS middle of the night here, so I gladly pass in favoriet of Brian :)

18. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  19. Brian Beezley

I'm going to have to pass, Barry. I don't have anything but local photos. No landmarks that anyone outside the area would recognize.

Brian

20. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    OK... next one... this one may be too easy, so bonus points if you can name the location I shot from.
    The FL was 32mm, fwiw.
    E5218777.
    (Click on the image to see the full resolution)