Guess I'm moving to a second body. Can't sell an EPL3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Feb 7, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I've got an EPL3 listed for $190 and no takers for more than $150. At that price, I think I'll weld my Olympus 15mm lens cap lens onto it, and just use it for a carry everywhere, B&W beater cam. The old gen pens have really dropped in value (though not at all surprising).

I still like the B&W output of the older sensor, for high contrast B&W shooting.

Anyone else keeping one of the older models around for a second (or third) body?
    • Like Like x 2
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    That's surprising to me. The E-PL3 is a nice camera with a lot to recommend it. I would have thought it would have retained more value than that.
  3. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    I listed E-PL2 for $50 at craigslist and no one asked at all. Gotta keep it as a toy. It's my fourth body though.
  4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    I have my E-PL3 (one and only camera). I was thinking of selling it to upgrade to the new sensor -- maybe even just an E-PM2, and I was actually watching your listing. Not worth it to let it go at that price, so I figured I'll stick with it and learn to work within its limitations. It's still a very good camera - the only times I really wish for a newer version is in really low light. I'm starting to live with the noise.

Or ... my daughter can have it and I'll tell the wifey I'm now without a camera. She just might bite. And then hello E-PL3 + (X20/X-E1/newer Pen)!
  5. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Yep, I keep my old E-PL3 with the old Oly17mm on it as a "pocketable P&S" :eek: :rofl:, and to let others use, so they keep their hands off my E-M5 !!

Pretty good as an outdoor, good light shooter, just too much noise at high ISO indoors.
  6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Yep. I'm keeping an EPL-1 with VF2, 14-42mm and 40-150mm kit on hand. If the EM-5 needs to go in for service it will make a serviceable backup. The resale value on the entire kit isn't all that much these days.

I charge the batteries and fire the shutter every month to make sure everything is working, then slide it back into the bag.

The drop in value isn't as bad as I experienced on my Canon G9; I gave that camera away to a fellow forum member to have on hand as a spare when their EM-5 needed service. The trade in value as allowed by two of the on line stores was something like $40 U.S. :rofl:.

I also gave away two film cameras (Minolta Maxxum5 and Nikon FM10) and lenses on a Jeep forum to photography students - the resale value on 35mm film cameras is about the same as it is for used chewing gum...

(One of those 'students' used the FM10 to create an image that was later picked up and published by a local travel magazine in California. 'Student' indeed...).

Never refer to a camera system as an 'investment' - it's an expense. :wink:

You may be glad you're hanging on to that EPL-3; makes a decent backup for your primary system and gives you something to take into venues where you wouldn't care to risk damaging the primary. Also that lens cap lens rocks! :2thumbs:

7. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    heh, I dropped my e-pm1 so that's staying with me forever now. nothing seriously broken, but the battery corner is dent and the door doesn't latch anymore. I am carrying it around with me to work everyday now with a 14mm on it. great thing about it is I don't have to baby it anymore :p
    • Like Like x 1
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I just got another ping for $150 shipped to Canada. I guess that's the market rate right now for an EPL3.

One really nice thing about Oly -- the battery continuity. My EPL3 and EPL5 use the same battery, so keeping the EPL3 around doesn't create any batter management issues for an "occasional" camera.

I think I'll wait one more day, then pull the listings. It's that tension -- if I have it listed, I don't want to use it, because I risk a ding or whatever that I then need to disclose. At least if I settle into owning it for good, I won't care if it gets beat up a little. Might be a nice outside-in-the-elements camera to risk, too.
  9. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    There is an EP5?
  10. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Yeah, I never even tried to sell my E-P1 because I knew I'd never get what I wanted for it. So now I have a spare MFT body. Plus, I just love the look of it (still) and think it matches the look of the E-M5 very well. They are two sexy beasts! (said in my Austin Powers voice).
    • Like Like x 2
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Sorry. EPL5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've been tempted by your listing, but haven't had time to make up a listing to sell of my G1 and E-P1 to pay for it and I've blown through my whole 2013 camera budget already.
  13. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The going rate for E-P1's seems to be around $100-$125.
  14. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    I wrestled with this question with an old slightly damaged E-PM1, and finally just bit the bullet and solid it for what it's worth--not much. I already have a second body and wasn't going to shoot with a third . . . so I figured I could sell it now for a little bit or wait a year and sell it for even less. There's no good solution.

But if you don't already have a second body I'd definitely keep it. Mount a small lens on it and you have a perfect take-it-everywhere camera.
  15. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

That's a perfectly fair price given the age and technology, but I like it more than that, so I kept it. I still occasionally use it, too. I like the images up to about ISO 1250.
  16. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I don't consider the EPL3 and that generation t be "old tech" at all. My EPM1 still has more photographic capability than the photographer (me) and as such, it still takes pictures.

I don't think the indoor performance is bad at all, rather, it's quite good, considering the fact that even the best ISO 1600 film (I grew up shooting film) was grainy, yet people paid a premium for it.

Performance is relative. If you keep up with the joneses, you'll never be satisfied with what you have. I dunno - my two cents.
  17. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    It might just be your target market, things seem to go for lower prices here than elsewhere... A check of recent completed sales on evilBay shows E-PL3 (bodies only) going for around $200+ and with kit lens $300+
  18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Good point. I should try eBay. I've never sold there before. But I've got the same camera listed on Amin's sites (SC, TalkNEX and here), FredMiranda, POTN, Amazon marketplace and here.
  19. ReallyBadPictures

ReallyBadPictures Mu-43 Regular

Jan 12, 2013
    Since you have never sold on Ebay before I would recommend that you make a post-it note with your Ebay user ID and place this on the camera or box and take a picture with it so buyers know you have the item and are not a scammer.

Also you will want to ship to a paypal verified address only and require a signature upon delivery and make sure you ship it with a tracking number to avoid scammers that go after new sellers.
  20. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I've noticed this as well... I post all my sales on ebay for the same reason.

I prefer selling to forum members, but it also consistently seems to end up a money losing proposition, which I'm not too fond of unless I'm expressly selling to a friend and trying to cut them a deal.