Guernica

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by angloasturian, Oct 7, 2010.

1. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

I’m sure this name will be recognized by everybody on this forum. This town was bombed during the Spanish Civil War and Picasso painted it to be hung in the International Exhibition in Paris in 1937. New Yorkers were lucky enough to have it in the MOMA until 1981 as Picasso would not allow it to go to Spain while Franco was in power. Now it’s in the Queen Sofia Museum in Madrid where I have seen it.
    This real – size ceramic copy is next to the park where the ‘Tree of Guernica’ stands.

[​IMG]

The original tree, an oak, was traditionally planted in the 14th century and symbolises Basque liberty. The tree in the photo was planted in 1860 and ‘retired’ in 2004. Its ‘Son’ now stands in its place and Basque presidents swear their allegiance under it.

[​IMG]

In another part of the park is a beautiful sculpture by Henry Moore called ‘Large Figure in a Shelter’ (1985).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Colin, once again I'm here to thank you for broadening my world with your wonderful photographs. Although I was fortunate to see Picasso's "Gurenica" in New York, it has been a long time since those days. Seeing it in this setting and being able to feel its size due to your photographing it so well, its power is as strong and arresting as it ever was. I think seeing it outside makes it even more real, to me.

I love to live vicariously through your threads.

• Like Like x 2