1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

grrrrr.. just over a year and my power switch is broken (e-m5 mkII)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by shaolinmonk, May 29, 2016.

1. shaolinmonk

shaolinmonk Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Toronto Canada
    Just got back from Iceland and on the very last day my power switch has decided to not work. Searching on the forums it doesn't seem to be common thing so just bad luck for me i guess. But it failed just over a year my camera is from the middle of March. At least it died at the end of my trip and that it's just always on, meaning when i flick the switch it just doesn't turn off. So i can just pull the battery, or leave it in sleep mode.

Anyone know how much something like this would cost to fix? Or if there is a way I way to DIY it?

2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    That sucks. At least it broke "on" so you can still use the camera.

Here is the USA, it is a flat repair rate of about $184.32 US which I think is about $2937.99 Canadian ;)

It doesn't look like Oly Canada does the same flat rate thing so you would have to go through here...
    Customer Service & Repair Center

That page does have a toll free number so you might be able to get an estimate over the phone.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It may possibly be nothing wrong with the switch but a firmware failure or conflict. I suggest you do a full reset & it may resolve the issue for you. Early issues with the E-M5 happened like that & it didn't cease until after certain firmware updates.

• Like Like x 1
  4. shaolinmonk

Aug 31, 2013
    Toronto Canada
    yeah tried to full reset didn't do anything...

5. Ross the fiddler

That's not good at all. BTW, what firmware level is the camera on, in other words, do you have the latest firmware?

6. shaolinmonk

Aug 31, 2013
    Toronto Canada
    yes running 2.2

7. Ross the fiddler

I'm sorry, but unfortunately it seems like you need to put it in for repair then.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  8. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    The same thing just happened to me. Olympus turned it around in about a week. The cost was about $180. I have filed a claim to reimburse the repair cost with my credit card company. Most provide an extra year warranty but most people forget that. I just submitted it a few days ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    • Like Like x 1
  10. shaolinmonk

Aug 31, 2013
    Toronto Canada
    thanks... 3 cameras with this issue and counting... time to make a stink out of it...

11. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    I had 2 EM-5 mark II with the same problem so at list 4 cameras with this issue

12. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    What is it with Oly and its manufacturing issues?
    The only Panasonic problem I've heard of is with the 12-32 lens.
    Their bodies may feel light and plasticky but the buttons and dials are pretty sturdy.

13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The E-M5 II on/off switch sucks. It's quite flimsy. They improved the switch design on the E-M10 II which is much better built and feels sturdier.

14. shaolinmonk

Aug 31, 2013
    Toronto Canada
    Maybe they should just use a button

15. shaolinmonk

Aug 31, 2013
    Toronto Canada
    We should get a recall on this similar to the screen frame cracks on the first em5

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1