GROUP PORTRAIT TIP on White Background...

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jambaj0e, Nov 29, 2013.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    GROUP TIP: When you have to shoot a group corporate shoot on clean white background, it's easier to shoot each person separately and combine them later in Photoshop. This way, you can also can choose the photo with the best pose for each person, too.

Plus, you'll have everyone in high-res in case they want individuals in the future =)

Shot with the Olympus E-M1 & Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8

Lighting-wise, this was a 5-light setup: BD with sock camera left for key , open-face soft silver 74" parabola for on-axis fill, rim light, and two gridded softboxes for the clean white background

Jag0845.

• Like Like x 15
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    It looks great.
    Good trick.
    How big's the full filesize?

3. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    The final size is around 4GB and it's saved as a PSB file. Yes PSB, which is Photoshop's large format file. PSD is limited to 2GBs, lol.

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Nice one !

Some newbie questions -

Are they all roughly the same height in real life (ie was it a requirement to 'scale' people) ?

Does a white screen react differently to a green screen used in film (ie if you used a green screen then filled it white afterwards or is it best to shoot the background in the colour it needs to be right from the start) ?

5. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
    cool... !

I used the same technique with the five Curta canisters:

12345_curta.

It also helps to avoid some distortions at the border side...

6. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Height-wise, they roughly 3-4" inches in range. I made sure I didn't change the focal range and the E-M1 was on a tripod.

I can't say how it'd look like with a green screen. Never really used them before. I do know there's difficulty in making sure the feet gets cut cleanly with green screen since it often cast a green color off the shoes. With this white, it's easy

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Hmmm ... yes, you could subtly alter their heights according to company pecking-order ...

8. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    ...and watch the shadows. An array of objects will have shadows that vary. Subtly different for sure, but it is one of the details that makes a shot believable.

9. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Then, once combined, little things (like reflections) make it look more real to a casual observer, and keeps them from floating visually.

Jag0845b.

10. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    The man in the middle and the man next to him are the managing partners. I actually put the two Asians on the outside because of their orientation, which helps to bring the picture by closing off the sides. I also put the guy in the grey jacket on the left because the Filipino guy on the far right is also wearing a lighter color jacket and having two greyish jackets on one side offsets the balance.

11. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    This was shot on a white seamless, so I didn't get the benefit of having a plexi or a tileboard. I should get that, though. I would only have a very subtle reflection that fades off quickly.

I can always add a bit more shadow, since it is there. The reason I fade the shadow quickly is because it's caused by the rim light over their left shoulder (or camera right). It'd be weird for all of them to have a very directional but parallel shadow

12. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    By the way, most annoying thing that I didn't realize until I saw the images in the computer was that the rim light caused a bit of a subtle lens flare right at the crotch level for each person. Since this was a composite, everybody has them, lol. I just used frequency separation and sampled colors from the unaffected areas of the pants back in on the low frequency layer.

13. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Here is how it looks out of camera, by the way

Fotosiamo-Jay O Brien Real Estate [] proofs_JAG0892. Fotosiamo-Jay O Brien Real Estate [] proofs_JAG0906. Fotosiamo-Jay O Brien Real Estate [] proofs_JAG0939. Fotosiamo-Jay O Brien Real Estate [] proofs_JAG0882. Fotosiamo-Jay O Brien Real Estate [] proofs_JAG0853. Fotosiamo-Jay O Brien Real Estate [] proofs_JAG0915. Fotosiamo-Jay O Brien Real Estate [] proofs_JAG0845.

The guy in last photo was actually the first one I shot, which is why his lighting was slightly off. I tweaked it for the rest of them.

14. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    And here is a more traditional one-shot group photo.

Fotosiamo-Jay-Sammer-[]-2048px1018.

15. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Good, but them all standing is much more powerful.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

16. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    Dude that's awesome! Btw, I've never used a studio setup, so is the "floor" the same material and same piece as the "wall" ? Is there a 90degree angle between the wall and floor ? Thanks for your time

17. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Thanks! I used what's called "seamless paper", so it's a long, wide roll of paper that starts from the wall, then curves at where the wall meets the floor until it becomes the floor. Hence, seamless transition. What I wish I have though is either a large plexiglass or white tileboard over the paper because it creates a cleaner floor and show less scuffles and dirt.

18. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I've shot in studios set up like this and on white seamless. I'd take the seamless any day. Gets scuffed? Rip off a few feet and you're good. Want a different color? Order another roll. And, seamless is portable. If you can do this well on seamless, you should have by worries.

19. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I prefer the "real" group shot. the connection between the members, the feeling of realistic light and the rounded shape of the group are more pleasing to me then the straight line of standing. Both are well done though. Only critique on the sitting shot is the background highlights are bleeding onto the subjects in the seated shot.

I've used vinyl before and that works well, although I prefer the paper too. The vinyl can crease pretty bad if you drop something on it while it's stored. Especially black vinyl in my experience... vinyl washes REAL easy though.

• Like Like x 2
  20. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I don't dislike the couch shot, but you then introduce another set of variables. Do I use modern furniture? Vintage? The style of the couch can speak volumes.