Group Buying Services Bad For Photographers & Customers?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by RT_Panther, Jun 26, 2013.

1. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    "Group Buying Services" are generally bad for every business. The most active "group buyers" are cheapskates trying to get everything for the absolute minimum. They go away when the deal does. This is why Google has largely shelved its program, Facebook's was abandoned soon after launch and why Groupon probably won't be around in 3 years.
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks RTP:thumbup:
    A very good article . I think group deals work with bulk manufacturing products but for services where more personal skills are involved , I think it's a disaster . Having said that .. I usually stay away from such deals and never buy something only for the sake of being cheap:smile:
  3. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    ...nice article, would have even been more fun if they looked at the Pareto principle in relationship to group buys too. Excellent level of snark in that article, quite fun.
  4. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    i see and understand why this is bad for businesses ... but no one is forced to participate.

I sense a lot of hypocrisy on this thread. Who the hell doesn't want to get something for cheap! oh well, I guess some people have such high morals and lots of money to spare. sorry, I am cheap and I don't care what you say.
  5. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    There's getting something for cheap, then there's bad business practices. I may not be a pro photographer, but I understand there is a mass undercutting to the lower price tiered professional, where it is so hard to fight through as a start up where there is a nasty cycle and churning of the lower tier. A lot of that churn is from business' attempting to start up by creating a product with no margins for profit even at large volumes, with prices that can never sustain a business fighting for customers that expect prices that are absolutely unsustainable. It's not morals, it's a creation of quality product with a balanced market that is being undermined by ignorance on certain producers of content that are willing to start up and fail without ever having a chance. I don't blame the consumer and neither does the article, as a budget consumer will always go to the lowest price point.