1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

grips and accessories for E-p3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gnod, May 22, 2012.

1. gnod

gnod Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    NYC
    ok so I decided to keep my e-p3. If I'm going to stick with M43 I figured there's no better camera to start off with, especially since I can't sell it for the price I wanted it for, and the OM-D is no where available. I think this is actually a blessing in disguise as now, I can buy some glass.

Couple of things though. I don't particularly enjoy the standard grip and read that the Large grip from Olympus works well. Are there other grips available?

I'm really hung up on the thumb up grip - anyone use the one from ebay and is it justifiable in performance? I think I read that it damaged someone's hotshoe connection... :(

Lastly, I need a half case! I can't justify buying a gariz case but am thinking about going to ebay again. Anyone have any experience with it?

Also, does anyone use soft shutter release button for the e-p3? I know its' not a screw in so I'm assuming it uses a self adhesive?

thanks ya'll and excited to start already!

2. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    As far as I know there's only one alternative grip. I think it's a good idea myself and something I'm looking at too. But apart from having a hard time with the price for a bit of plastic and a screw I haven't seen a case that will accept it. There may be some, I haven't looked that hard.

At the moment I have a cheap full case (like this - and just use the bottom part. It covers the standard grip completely so gives quite a good chunky feel. It's not real leather of course but it looks pretty good.

3. gnod

gnod Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    NYC
    thanks for your response.
    do you find that the leather is "good enough" to be used to safely cover the bottom? It's not going to rip in a month or so right? haha

4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I swallowed hard and purchased the large grip. For me, it made a world of difference.

5. gnod

gnod Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    NYC
    wow... you seem convinced.

i may opt for that or the leather case..

6. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    There's quite a bit of thickness to whatever material they use so I think it would be fine. Leather is going to be far better of course and I may opt for that eventually but for now this is good.

7. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I'm not a case person, so grip was best option. I'm hyper-finicky about grip ergonomics, probably to a fault. :redface:

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Going from the standard to the large grip is like going from the hold of an E-P1/E-P2 to an E-PL1/E-PL2. Even though the Lite versions had less controls, there's no doubting that their grip was much more practical! With the E-P3 you can get the best of both worlds, but have to buy the extra accessory (not to mention the other Lite series advantages such as weak AA filter, Remote Commander, and Magnifier button).

• Like Like x 1
  9. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    ^ I have a similar case, so it made the grip option moot. Feels pretty comfortable given the added vertical real estate.

It's reinforced inside with some kind of aluminum or metal plating so it might take the shock from a low-level drop.