1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Gripped E-M5 and the f-stop Gear ICU Shallow Small

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by quatchi, Jul 15, 2015.

1. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Hey,

when I was looking into solutions to carry my camera with a couple of lenses in my backpack, I came across the f-stop ICUs. I instantly liked the concept of the ICUs (especially in combination with one of their backpacks). However, which size to choose was not such an obvious task - at least to me.

My requirement was that my E-M5 with attached grip (HLD-6?) should fit into the ICU. Additionally a couple of lenses and some filters. Of course, the ICU should be as small as possible. :)  As I couldn't find any pictures with u43 gear of the ICUs, I measured my E-M5 and compared it to the sizes of the various ICUs. Unfortunately, they either were to small or way to big. In the end I went with the slightly to small option - the shallow series. In height it is lacking roughly one centimeter. I figured, however, that the lid is soft and so it will fit anyway.

So far I am pleases with the small shallow ICU. I can fit my E-M5 with grip and attached Oly 12-40 in as well as a couple of other lenses. Attached are example images. The first one shows the "bump" on the bottom right corner resulting from the to big E-M5. The fourth shows an example as to what gear fits in without a problem: E-M5 with grip and Oly 12-40, Oly 12, Oly 45, Oly 75, Pana 20, Rokino/Samyang 7.5, additional battery, ND filter, polarization filter, remote and not shown in the picture, a grafual ND filter slid into the lid of the ICU.

Without the battery/portrait part of the grip, the E-M5 will fit like a charm. It also 'fits' vertically - with the same one centimeter over the top as with the grip horizontally.

I hope this helps someone in their decision.

PS: Yes, I lost my hot-shoe cover long ago... :) 

image. image. image. image.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I use the same one. With some effort in placing the dividers, and allowing the flexible sides of the ICU to bend a bit it fits my EM1 with 40-150 pro, EM5 with 12-40 (on the side, so indeed sticking out a bit), the O17 and the O75. The advantage of this one over the pro sized ICU is that the backpack (I use a Guru) has a bit more storage capacity and retains a slender profile.

19538239130_f49b650922_b.
    ICU Small in Guru
    by Marlof Bregonje, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

ICU = I see you? ???

4. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    ICU = Internal Camera Unit

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.