1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Grip thoughts

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Hingo, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Hingo

Hingo Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    hello m43 users

Straight to the subject, what's the best grip? When I bought my OMD I added the the hld6 grip to it, both parts. It feels great fully gripped, but
    later on I've only been using the grip only, not the battery holder.

But there is one problem and very frusterating, it's that you have to remove it from the camera to access the battery. So I went searching for others grip and found a few ones that makes grip for the OMD, it's the J.B.camera design grip and really right stuff grip. The one and only thing that makes me keep the frusterating OMD grip, is that shutter button on the top of it, it really makes the difference and it seems more comfortable only by judging form pictures and videos on the web.

But I want to hear what other members think, what's the best grip out there?, and is there any change that olympus will make similar grip, but with quick access to the battery?

2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I will vote for JLM's grip (edit, to clarify, the one w/o the L bracket, not full length. he has a few versions). But I'm also comfortable with the current shutter position. One big reason is the battery. I find it rather.. strange. My only reason for a full grip would be events where I need lots of battery power. Blocking one battery baffles me.

But outside of that, I don't need the portrait, so only the grip suffices, and that renders the official grip quite annoying. So the JLM grip gives me what I want. And to add, has a built in arca swiss mount (that I have switched to anyway, this helped sway me). And some very useful strap loops.

3. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I use the RRS grip. It even lets you get access to the LHS of the body so that you can attach a shutter release. I had the JLM before that but it did not allow access to the LHS. i have used RRS gear for many years with no issues.

One thing that I have discovered is that not all ARCA plates are created equal. They vary in width by manufacturer. This isn't an issue with the older screw type clamps but with the new fliplock ones which are adjustable you may find that one plate is ok but another is way too loose. I learnt this the hard way and now only use RRS plates.

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I appear to be a minority, but...'no grip' works great for me.

5. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    +1

I bought the HLD-6 and my initial feeling was that it was a noticeable improvement over no grip but after using it for some months, I took the grip off to make the camera easier to carry in a shoulder bag and found myself feeling much more comfortable with the camera on its own, at least with the smaller and lighter primes. These days I rarely use the grip.

6. ArchSaturn

ArchSaturn Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    Same here. I've got big hands, and while the OM-D wasn't instantly comfortable when I bought it, I'm accustomed to it now. Thought I did have to replace the camera strap, those damned triangular lugs.

7. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I keep the bottom half of the full cover case on my OMD almost all the time. It makes a very nice grip while protecting the camera. But you have to remove it to change the battery.