grip or bracket for Pen P-E5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by panonski, Jul 27, 2015.

1. panonski

panonski Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
  2. panonski

panonski Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
  3. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

I have that same one. It works well, really the only downside is that it's not light, and the front grip is hollow with an exposed metal edge at the bottom (it's not sharp, just, needed to tape it up). It also re-centres the tripod socket under the sensor which is handy.

I got mine from here -

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251651341768?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

shipping was delayed while in transit and it took a while to get here, but it arrived ok.

I also have the JB Designs grip which seems to have sold out on his site and on amazon (the others are here - all pretty similar). It's good for one handed use of the camera with most native lenses but I found once you got past about 6-700 grams of stuff hanging off the front it became less useful. Still use it for the 60mm though.

If you want the VF-4 and flash mounted - depends on the capabilities of the flash really. If it can be wirelessly triggered you can put it anywhere it can see the popup flash or a reflection of the popup flash, or at least that's always worked for me with the FL600R. For the smaller lenses I just hand hold the flash, for the larger ones I use this -

http://www.custombrackets.com/cb-digital-sb.html

• Like Like x 1
  4. panonski

panonski Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    that one with wood have kind of self made cheap look, and I don't like it at all. And that's not far away from the truth ;)

I know, the camera is much more unusable, when is heavy and bulky, but I would buy 14-54 II Zuiko, because I want more Pro shots from my camera, and this lens is from what I've seen on internet almost must have.

My kit lens is good, but I would like more light sometimes, and 2.8-3,5 is for m4/3 zoom just close enough.

Thank you for your answer !

5. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Well, I'm not kidding that the metal one is not light - it's actually about as heavy as the whole CB bracket with Joby ball head on it, if it's aluminium they didn't use much of it :D

The JB one is a lot nicer to use, only issue with it is for those moments when you have to hold the entire assembly of camera + heavy lens + bracket + flash by the upright grip, it's not very steady.

Just checking - you know the 14-54 is a 4/3rds lens, not a micro four thirds lens, and you will need a 4/3 > m43 adapter to use it? And it will only work in CDAF mode on the E-P5?

6. panonski

panonski Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    yes I know that, thank you :) I read many reviews for that lens, and I think maybe it's worth to spend money on it :)

7. miguel

miguel New to Mu-43

May 6, 2014
    I've got the metal one. Without vertical mount it weighed about ~100grams.
    But it makes such big difference when handling large lens like the Panasonic 100-300mm or Olympus 12-40mm.
    It will be a great combo when (if) the price comes down on the Olympus 40-150mm 2.8.