Grip options for Pen-F

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
So I am finally shooting again and have been out and about with the Pen-F I acquired the week of lockdown in 2020. It came with a beautifully crafted JB wooden grip but I can't seem to get along with its ergonomics. Picked up a ECG-4 knockoff, but did not get along with it either. I really like the camera, but need a bit more purchase than the flat body allows for. I am now thinking a leather half case (not sure about the button on the side of one of the versions I am seeing) or a flipbac stickon grip (probably the FBG2) .

The primary intended use is as a walk- around camera with small primes.

Would love any insight from Pen-F owners. Thanks

Real Name
Butch Oakey
I have found the leather half case works pretty well. Tried the knock off of the ECG-4 and it's ok but wound up putting it back in the box and up on a shelf. Tried the printed one and liked it for a while but the give in the handle was just too much so my Pen F is naked right now.

BruceRH

Mu-43 Veteran
I tried the ECG-4 grip and didn’t like it. It kind of ruined the concept of what the Pen-F is IMHO. I then went out and got the GARIZ half case and could not be happier. It is a little pricey but well worth it, at least for me. It has a little bar/raised area that gives your fingers a perfect amount of extra grip. Highly recommend.

Last edited:

BruceRH

Mu-43 Veteran
8141D121-6039-4715-8F53-49C4AEFD0B7E.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
27C26178-32CC-4956-AC9B-87E20B8541E2.jpeg

Real Name
Butch Oakey
I tried the ECG-4 grip and didn’t like it. It kind of ruined the concept of what the Pen-F is IMHO. I then went out and got the GARIZ half case and could not be happier. It is a little pricey but well worth it, at least for me. It has a little bar/raised area that gives your fingers a perfect amount of extra grip. Highly recommend.
Is removal of the case necessary to change the battery and SD card?

BruceRH

Mu-43 Veteran
Is removal of the case necessary to change the battery and SD card?
No. The SD card is not the easiest but I have learned that if you press down on the card then release quickly, the little spring will get it high enough that I can grasp it with my fingers. The battery is easy.

BruceRH

Mu-43 Veteran
Quick iPhone pics
C4F25879-FAB8-49DE-87E7-9E51C7F0E8CC.jpeg
1192A9F2-68E1-47C0-B2B9-87B6DD47ED08.jpeg

Mountain_Man_79

Brannigan’s Law is like Brannigan’s love
Real Name
Chris
I use a half case as well, and I find it works great so long as I’m not sticking something like the 12-100 on it. Nothing fancy, from China, and inexpensive, but works well. It’s the kind with the little button on the side like you mentioned...doesn’t bother me a tad.
5DE477AD-B2AF-4AAF-B45E-FE187CC8495E.jpeg

74B10068-AFD7-495B-94CE-25895AF401A9.jpeg

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
Thanks @BruceRH @Mountain_Man_79 @Shadetree

Picked up a cheap half case (complete with the offending button) to try out. Love the style of the Gariz case, but can't find it in stock anywhere. Will keep my eyes open for a used Gariz.

I’m not helping here but I’m a big fan of the JB grip. It’s also very light.
I want to love this grip. It is so beautiful and and really complements the camera. I'll give it another whirl over the weekend.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
While I have been using my Pen-Fs always without a grip or case, I have read a lot of comments from fellow Pen-F owners who also settled with a half-case, especially the Gariz one got much love for ergonomics and quality. So I'd keep an eye on ebay or similar, maybe you'll find one for sale. Most agreed a half-case just increases the grip and size enough to improve the overall handling, while not being as extreme as an actual additional grip.

Last edited:

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
OK. So the cheap PU leather case is here. And it is actually rather nice. But now I have a new problem. The strap I was using has a brown leather trim and does not go with the black case I got. Now I need a new strap. Life is so complicated once you get statement camera.

Any recommendations from folks for an all black wrist strap which they like?

20211011_224738.jpg

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
Personally I like the straps made by Sailor Straps from Poland, however getting them to the US most likely won't really be worthwhile as there might be more affordable options in North America.
The Skinny Jimmy in particular is pretty nice as they are using a thinner rope, which is better suited for more compact cameras like the Pen-F or many MFT other bodies.

https://sailor-strap.com/store/SKINNY-JIMMY-HAND-c22692092

I'm using their regular (neck) straps since years and am pleased with the quality.

nstelemark

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Larry
Also looking at a Gordy strap.

These are all personal choices. I really wanted to like the Gordy strap but found it too limiting. The PenF is a bit big IMO for a wrist only strap. I really like the Artisan and Artist silk strap (well and the JB grip too ;-) ).

pa292402-jpg.jpg

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
These are all personal choices. I really wanted to like the Gordy strap but found it too limiting. The PenF is a bit big IMO for a wrist only strap. I really like the Artisan and Artist silk strap (well and the JB grip too ;-) ).

View attachment 912558
That is a really nice look. Those Artisan & Artist silk straps are lovely, but expensive. I have looked at the ACAM-311N wrist strap and drooled, but cannot bring myself to spend $200 on it.

Personally, I don't mind the wrist straps, even use my E-m1 on one. Makes shooting multiple bodies a pain, but I rarely do that.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom