1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Grip HDL-6 (E-M5)....opinions please.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, May 7, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    One of our members said 'It's not for me, all it does is add weight'.

I wondered what others who had the grip thought.

2. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I may need it for my 4/3 zoom, in the meantime I use hand strap...but I wish Olympus give us a cheaper choice of obtain the grip only....extra battery + HLD 6 will be too much for my bleeding wallet :)

3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I'll say 'Thank goodness for the added weight and bulk! For those of us with large hands the diminutive size of the OM-D body is unbearable on its own.'

• Like Like x 1
  4. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    Love it. It is very clever, and does not add much weight or bulk (just enough in my opinion). I usually use the whole thing & keep my lone battery in the portrait grip battery compartment. Occasionally I use only the landscape grip because that configuration + the Panasonic 20mm fits in my bicycle saddle bag best.

I find the camera by itself is too fumbly for my liking. The rubber grips have lots of traction.

I'm quite impressed by how solid the grips are when attached. After all, the three-piece assembly (2 grips+camera) are only held together by two screws. But it has no creak or slack to it.

Would it be better if it were not as expensive? Of course, but not dropping my much more expensive camera & lenses is worth the extra cost to me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Glen L

Glen L Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    Ottawa, Ont
    Maybe for him that might be the case! but I would suggest dropping into your local camera dealer and try one on your camera.

I will also second what Bitmatt said:thumbup: I almost fumbled the camera myself when I unpacked it:eek:

6. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Question: if you are only using the front grip, can you access the battery compartment, or do you need to remove the grip to change the battery? It appears from pictures you'd need to remove the grip, but I just want to confirm.

I'm considering picking one of these up, though I don't really have a problem with the E-M5 as it is. If I got it, though, I'd probably leave the front grip on most of the time and use the portrait grip a fair bit as well (for studio or sports work), but not full time.

7. billywanzi

billywanzi New to Mu-43

I really want to buy a silver OM-D E-M5 with the grip, but from what I've seen it looks like the grip has been designed for the black version, texture wise I mean. Is there another version I've missed that complements the leatherette of the silver version? Does anybody own the silver version with the grip and do you want to post some pictures?

Thanks in advance ;-)

P.S. I know it seems like a non-issue, but if I'm going to spend €1600,- (OM-D E-M5 + 12-50mm + grip), I want everything to be perfect... inside and out!

• Like Like x 1
  8. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    Not at all. The grip looks real nice to me on my Silver E-M5. With the camera being silver AND black having the black grip on there still goes with the color scheme. I use the grip 100% of the time and love it. I too put the battery in the grip for ease of use.

• Like Like x 1
  9. billywanzi

billywanzi New to Mu-43

Great to hear, LVL8hacker... Would it be too much to ask if you could post some pictures of your silver E-M5 with the grip on? It would be REALLY appreciated ;-)

10. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    Forgive my phone pic's as my main weapon of choice is now the subject :)

[​IMG]

IMG-0595.

• Like Like x 7
  11. billywanzi

billywanzi New to Mu-43

LOL =) The combination looks terrific! Thanks so much for taking the time to do this...

The silver E-M5 with the grip it will be!!!

P.S. Your phone pics look great!

12. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    You have it right-if you're using only the landscape part it blocks the battery door on the E-M5 & you have to remove it to access the battery. But, if using the portrait part you can have a battery in the grip and leave the in-camera compartment empty (if using just one battery). The grip battery door seems a bit more resilient to me anyway.

13. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    I think at its current cost, I can wait for 3rd party ones to come out.

14. klythawk

klythawk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Nottingham U.K.
    John
    Just wondering why so many people who already own the E-M5 are considering buying the hand/battery grip, wasn't the free offer made worldwide. :confused:

15. billywanzi

billywanzi New to Mu-43

AFAIK the free hand/battery grip option isn't available in the Netherlands. I did hear that the €250 hand/battery grip is a temporary offering meaning that after a while the combo will be sold separate but I don't know if this is a 100% correct and if so for how long...

• Like Like x 1
  16. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    offer not available in the US.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I think that was a UK deal only - other countries had their own particular deal on other accessories. I think we deserved the grip due to the price we pay for the camera itself!! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  18. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    I really think that I need the optional grip since handling the OMD is a little difficult given it's weight and size. it should give the OMD more surface area to hold onto as well as balancing out the weight. Just a question, is that an extra wheel on the shutter button in the front grip? Is it customizable as well?

19. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    The free grip offer was only for U.K. customers. Partially because Olympus doesn't have much of a presence there and this was their big push for new customers. Seriously, who wouldn't want a free US$299 grip? Lucky Brits...

20. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    The grip wheels just mimic the settings for the camera's wheels, so they can't be further customized. However, the function buttons on the portrait grip can be assigned separate functions from those on the camera.