1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Grip for the G1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by iliakoltsov, Mar 30, 2011.

1. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
  2. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    In my opinion, you don't need a "grip" attachment for the G/GH bodies. This looks like a battery pack that is screwed down on the bottom of the camera. In my opinion, and yes, I seem to be very opinionated at this, this defeats the purpose of owning a m4/3 camera as it will add to the bulk and weight of the camera. I bought into m4/3 because of the compactness of the cameras as compared to regular DSLRs.

3. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I agree that no grip is needed with the G1, which is so beautifully proportioned as is. The internal battery is fine, and I have a spare along just in case.

4. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    Mine is on the way for a G2. I've used these before with the E-520 and had positive results.

As for purpose? I bought into the system of u4/3 because overall it's much smaller being able to carry 4-5 lenses in a small satchel and shoot with them. However, the G2 still feels a bit too small in my hands so I want to see if this helps at all.

• Like Like x 1
  5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    When you get it, please post a few pics of the kit. I'm interested but wou
    D like to see a "real world" review.

Gordon

6. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    My main reasons why i needed this grip, on 1 side M4/3 accepts every single and possible lens on the other even the heaviest body is getting dis-balanced with a lens that is heavier than 700g.

The only concern that i am left with is the fact that the G1 may not work with it due to the firmware restriction.

Thanks for the info mclarenf3, can you do a little feedback once you have received it ?

7. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    + 1 request for your review when you get it :wink:

C U,
    Rafael

8. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I have one on order too. There should be no problem with firmware.

9. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Whether or not we would find a grip useful or not depends on how we use the cameras. I personally am more concerned about the handling and weight rather than the size. I would disagree with "so beautifully proportioned" as I've personally never liked the miniature DSLR/bridge camera look of the G1/2/GH1/2's. They have never felt right to me and always struck me as somewhat "cheap" looking. The GF's and the Pens, with their different design, more reminiscent of 60's and 70's rangefinder compacts, work much better for me.

I use a PanLeica 4/3 14-150mm zoom, which when fitted with its adapter, is quite large and overwhelms the GH2 I use it on somewhat. A grip would make that lens feel much better for me.

Also I use GH1's for shooting video, and its much more useful to have the extra power already available, rather than have to change batteries. I often am involved in shooting long takes, between 1/2 hour to an hour (I have a "hacked" GH1) and at the moment I have to take 3 batteries along to make sure that the power doesn't run out during something important.

There was a rumour that Panasonic were considering releasing a grip themselves, but that doesn't seem to have materialised. I really wish they would. It would provide a very useful option for those of us who have a need for it.

10. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

There are two main advantages of such grips - the extra shutter button gives easy access in portrait orientation and the second battery can give faster recycle times for onboard flash and of course more shots per charge.

I guess the comment about firmware is re Panasonic's blocking of non-OEM batteries. I can't see any further problems.

I've had grips on the E-1 and E-3 - Oly ones which required no extra cables. This grip seems to rely on extra cabling for full function but that info is not clear just yet. Reports from early adopters will be valuable.

11. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I too am interested in someone's personal take on the grip.

I'm divided with my opinion. I loved grips on my Canon EOS system as I shot a lot in portrait format and the lenses can get a bit heavy. On one hand, I would love to have the same on my G1 with the extra battery. It might help with bigger adapted lenses as well. On the other, I came to the M43 system for the smaller size and weight... don't want to move away from that.

If they had something similar for the E-PL1, I'd be very interested. The battery life of the G1 is not a big problem. The E-PL1 seems to go dead in shorter time.

The grip has compartments for two batteries. How does it drain? From both equally or depletion of one then the other? Can the grip operate on a single battery?

12. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

double post

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I thought this thread was going to be about something else ;
    After first getting a G1 I was forever joggling the front wheel by accident and my grip solution was going to be a leather spacer on the front just to move my forefinger a smidgen away from the wheel...

Never mind, I got used to it.

14. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    I got this today. Tried it out and I'm not really all that impressed.

The main reason I got it was:

1. Better ergonomics on a smaller body (making it larger makes it easier to hold)
    2. Easier to take portrait photos.

In my opinion, it fails on both of these for these reasons:

1. It would've been better ergonomics if there wasn't that stupid cord going form the battery to the grip. That is placed right where the palm of your hand should be touching the camera. Instead you have this plastic and rubber piece poking your hand whenever you hold the camera. This means that you don't hold the camera as tightly, and furthermore it doesn't improve the ergonomics at all. Actually, it makes it worse.

2. If you want the grip's shutter to be active, you have to connect another cord from the grip to the mic/remote port on the body. By doing this you have yet another thing hanging off the side of the camera (although the other side). I know there's no other way for them to do it, but I don't like misc. wires hanging off the side of my body. Too easy for it to catch on something and rip out or to lose.

3. Last point is that the grip doesn't slide in or have a permanent spot. Once you screw it into the tripod mount on the camera, it can keep rotating (ie: the grip can keep rotating) and nothing locks it in place. No matter how tightly you screw it in, it'll still rotate. Kinda makes it annoying to keep centered.

I think it's a great attempt at a grip for the body, but I probably wouldn't recommend this for anyone. I'll likely keep this because I don't see myself being able to re-coupe the costs I paid for it (taking offers! ;) ). But I probably won't use it as much as I'd like to.