Grip for EM5ii - what do you think of this one

Real Name
Deryck
I get really worked up by cameras and handling with my different lenses, probably because my technique is so awful.

Once I put the OEM ECG grip on the E-M10, I didn't take it off again, the em10, ECG1 and the PL12-60 was a magical combination for me.

My GX80 had a cheap Chinese PU leather half case, and that was OK for the PL12-60 but better for the O 75-300

When I replaced the em10 with a em5ii I bought a PU leather half case and a Fotodiox grip, which looks similar to the one Mike has, but with a wheel to connect (I always lose allen keys).

The grip wasn't the revelation that the ECG1 on the em10 was, and doesn't make as much difference to the handling. It works, but is not as comfortable. For the moment I am using the leather case which I prefer to the grip or the naked camera. But as I have an em1ii I use that for the larger lenses and leave my em5 for the small primes.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I've now shot one 8h gig with E-M10II + 40-150mm f/2.8 and one 2h show with E-M5III + 40-150mm f/2.8. Both without extra grips. Neither camera needs one with that lens. The left hand (aka the supporting one) does all the heavy work and the right hand's job is to control the dials and press the shutter. Even though both of them are totally fine (ergonomically speaking) it is still blatantly obvious that the E-M5III feels better in my hand due to the bigger grip and few extra millimeters in height (my pinky finger is not hanging useless in the air like with the E-M10II).

But main point of this post was that even with a lens as big as the 40-150mm f/2.8, one can manage perfectly fine without any added grips with the newer OMDs. YMMV of course though. I don't have any heavier lenses but I would imagine that with them the left hand's role gets even more important.

Last edited:
Real Name
M@
Good thing this subject is entirely subjective. What feels good to you may not feel good to me, and what feels good to me may not feel good to you, even if you shoot long gigs. ;)

I like having the option to have one.

Real Name
Mel
I just ordered a grip with Arca Swiss L bracket for the sum of $20.60. I have the Fotodiox grip and it works okay but with the Arca Swiss plate built-in I can get rid of the other plate I use on top of the grip. Will let you know. Even though I like the weight of the EM 5ii I have bigger hands and need the extra size of a larger grip.

Real Name
M@
I just received my ECG-5 grip for the E-M5 MkIII. I really liked having the upper bit of the grip on my MkII. With the 12-40 f/2.8 Pro, it balances well and the extra purchase feels very nice. The same carries over to the MkIII. I don't have access to an E-M1 MkII to compare, but I would suspect it feels about the same.

What I like about having it is that I get that extra comfort and balance with the heavier and larger 12-40 lens, but the option to remove it and have a smaller, lighter and more compact camera when using a prime or a small lens like the 14-42EZ. In fact, I had to make a short trip for a family function right before Christmas and I took the camera with the 14-42 on it. It's almost a pocket-size camera that way.

Anyway, I really like the grip and I'm sure I'll be happy with having it. I suspect I will use the E-M5 MkIII for several years, until hopefully the MkIV blows it away!

Real Name
Mel
Just got my inexpensive L grip which is a "Fittest LB-EM5II" grip. It was $20.67 with free shipping off of eBay. It fits as it was made for the camera, has arca swiss plates in L shape. Has access to the battery compartment and the actual grip is very comfortable to use. Much more usable than the Fotodiox Pro grip it replaces.

Real Name
M@
That does remind me, the only thing I don't like about the Olympus grip is no access to the battery. I think most of the time I won't burn through multiple batteries, so I can just recharge via USB and it'll be less of an issue with the MkIII than the MkII which didn't allow that.

I did learn with the MkII that for my uses, I didn't need as many batteries as I thought. I think I'd be hard pressed to go through the 3 that I have for the MkIII in one day. I'll test that theory on my trip to London coming up in April!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom