Grip for EM5 mark II with 40-150 2.8

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Stacker, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Stacker

Stacker New to Mu-43

Dec 18, 2015
    Porsgrunn, Norway
    Jan Erik Taylor Busæt

A question for the Olympus 40- 150 f2.8 users out there. I just ordered this lens with the teleconverter (on sale yesterday), and hopefully I will recieve it on wednesday. I have a Olympus OM-D EM 5 Mark II and was wondering if I kind of have to buy a grip for it to comfortably use it with this "bigger" lens. Then the question is also which grip? There are cheap ones on ebay with arca swiss which is nice, and then there is the official one with arca swiss. Alternatively the HLD-8,but I do not think I will ever use a batterygrip, so maybe not the best choice. Hoping someone has some insight to share :)
  2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    You should support the lens with your left hand under it. Their are many reasons to do the...for manual focus, to aid panning, etc... Remove, or turn the tripod foot if that makes it more comfortable for you. I have big hands and often let the foot sit in my palm. Focusing with fingers.

Try it before you buy anything new.
  3. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm using the Fotodiox grip and I'm very happy with it.
    Very solid and comfortable and you can replace battery without removing the grip.
  4. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    I too have purchased a grip and am really happy with it as well (much better hold of the camera & more pleasant to walk round with)
    Bought mine on ebay (link: Quick Release L Plate Camera Grip for Olympus OM-D E-M5 MARK II Tripod Ballhead) which is all metal and has an arca swiss plate built in. It honestly appears to be identical to the official Olympus ECG-2 grip, but for nearly half the price. It does however add quite a bit of weight, but feels rock solid :)
  5. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    I've been in the same situation with the 7-14 which is lighter and still too front heavy, and ordered the hld 8 (you can find them cheap on eBay at olympus market). Will be able to tell you in few days when it arrives.
  6. pkent

pkent New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2016
    I use the ECG-2, purchased before the third party options became available. I needed the Arca-compatible Plate and a better grip. It is vastly better for the 40-150 and also useful for the front heavy 7-14. If you go this route note that you lose adjustability of the LCD screen unless you remove the "L" part of the plate.