Grip Falling off OMD EM1 Mark II

Dustin4931

New to Mu-43
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
I found the grip needed to be replaced several times on my OMD EM1 Mark I. Now it appears that same problem is happening to my EM1 Mark II (see picture below).

It's disappointing to see that Olympus has not managed to address this problem. This grip didn't even last 6 months.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Dustin

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
View attachment 590286 I found the grip needed to be replaced several times on my OMD EM1 Mark I. Now it appears that same problem is happening to my EM1 Mark II (see picture below).

It's disappointing to see that Olympus has not managed to address this problem. This grip didn't even last 6 months.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Dustin
I've had my E-M1 Mk.1 for 2 years and zero problems with adhesive failure. Ditto with my almost 4 year old E-M10 Mk.1. Where do you live - is the climate really hot, humid or anything else that would make the glues fail on both camera bodies?

50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My EM1 (original) is 3 years old and no issues with the grip at all. Sorry to hear that and that should be under warranty.

whumber

Mu-43 Veteran
Olympus seems to have problems with their grip adhesives in general. I had the rear rubber material on my E-M1 peel off a few months after I got it and the front grip on my E-M1.2 started peeling off just like yours about 8 months after I bought that. I sold my Pen-F recently and while I was cleaning the camera the night before it went to its new owners I noticed that the rear rubber grip was starting to feel loose; a few days after the sale the new owner told me that the grip fell off completely. On all my other cameras I've only ever had one case of a grip coming off and that was a 7 year old Canon 1D3 that had seen some severe abuse.

Dustin4931

New to Mu-43
I live in Taiwan where and shoot outdoors a lot... I'm guessing the humidity does a number on the adhesive. This one is still under warranty. Will be sending it back.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Ya what sucks even more about when the grip starts to come off the body is the rubber (are whatever material they are using) seems to expand/stretch so when you try to glue it back into place, there is now more area of grip material than there is space to stick it back down.

My mk1 was loose because I had to have it repaired and there must be a screw under the part where it came loose they needed to get to. I glued it back down myself but it now has a little lump in it since I made sure the edges were inside the body's indent for it and let the middle bunch up. Doesn't really bother me in use but kind of annoying that this is still an issue with them.

Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
I have 3 separate E-M1 (original) where the rubber is starting to peel off on the back.
One is currently in for service (2nd time) for non responsive rear wheel and I asked to take care of the rubber grip too.
As soon as that one comes back I will send the second one in and eventually the third one (which is not really bad yet)
I live in a subtropical place but one camera mainly stays in Europe (cold place) and has been in Australia only for a few months.
If Olympus could get the "secret sauce" on durability from Canon then we would have a real winner, but for the moment they are just a "runner up" :(

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
When I had the EM1.1 and EM1.2, the grip material was fine. I do have the thumb grip coming off from the PEN-F on the back of the camera. Could be an adhesive material issue?
Same thing happens to me on my Pen F. In fact some of my friends's Pen F thumb grip already peeled off

Florbarz

New to Mu-43
The thumb grip on my OMD EM-1 MK2 recently came off the body. Front grip is showing signs of separation along the top edge of the camera body. I’ve owned this camera since late March 2018. It’s on its way to Olympus America for out of warranty repair. Disappointing material failure after only 18 months of use. Olympus does not sell replacement grips to camera owners. I was also informed there is no service recall for grips on this camera. Not my first grip failure with an OLYMPUS cameras. It will be interesting to see whether they replace or repair grips. As well as what the cost of repair service will be.

mawz

Mu-43 Regular
Nothing unique to Olympus here, I've got a D300 with the same problem and my NEX-7 shed its grip twice in the year I had it.

Everybody uses the same basic adhesives, and they are sensitive to certain environments.

Mack

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you look closely at the OP's photo, you can see how the (plastic?) grip has swelled up and pushed itself over the top metal lip on the body proper. It might not be toally the glue's fault, but the material the grip itself is made of and how it reacts under constant pressure, and maybe skin oils causing it to swell up too.

Mine (E-M1 MK-II) has done the same thing within a couple of years of ownership (Now two years old so no warranty.). I reglued it with contact glue, but it is growing up and over the metal body lip again. I may sand some of the plastic grip material down a bit next time I re-glue it. It hasn't happened on the E-M1X yet so they may have changed something - either the material or the glue perhaps. Problem is that plastic grip has some location pins molded into it that fit into some mating holes in the body casting so the swelled plastic is there to grow again if not cut or sanded down a bit.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Only started to have this happen after a good few years on my E-M1II. That corner doesn't have a lot of adhesives on it, rather the top part does. Part of the reason wehy it comes off is from the material swelling and in my case it's kind of been swollen for a while but it never seemed to be noticeable until the corner started popping up.

I found certain types of double sided tape have some bite, in my case I found something like carpet tape or some kind of transparent tape with red fibers in it actually has bite while thin 3M VHB tape doesn't get a bite into the material.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Def. going to send it in to Olympus for repair. Not sure if it is still under warranty...but it never hurts to find out.
Worth checking if it is covered by the warranty. I bought a second user PEN-F where the thumb grip had got lost, and bought a replacement from Luton cameras. It came with the rubber part and a pre cut double sided tape piece. The send worldwide.
http://www.lutoncameras.com/

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My mk1 was loose because I had to have it repaired and there must be a screw under the part where it came loose they needed to get to. I glued it back down myself but it now has a little lump in it since I made sure the edges were inside the body's indent for it and let the middle bunch up.
Follow up on this one. Recently this corner of the grip I had previously glued down came loose again. This time I carefully trimmed off the edge of the grip using an Exacto knife so it would fit inside the indented area AND lay completely flat. I used some Loctite 380 instant adhesive (we have it as work) which worked great. Now it is glued down better and no lump in it. I hope it holds better/longer this time.

Last edited:
My grip has been slowly peeling off. I will send it in to Olympus this fall to be repaired under the extended warranty.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My grip has been slowly peeling off. I will send it in to Olympus this fall to be repaired under the extended warranty.View attachment 765648

View attachment 765649
Interesting that I have sen more posts for the grip material coming off the pro models for both Oly & Panasonic than the cheaper ones.
The cheaper models at least the ones I own seem to have a complete moulding instead of a thick covering. Possibly as they are all plastic instead of a covering over a chassis, don't know.

Not a big problem but annoying considering the price you pay.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom