1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Grinding sound after shutter sound - what is it?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Cr0b4r, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Cr0b4r

Cr0b4r Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    I just bought an E-PM2 and using the 14-40mm kit lens. I took some pictures in the house and noticed sometimes it would appear to take a long time to focus and sound like grinding. But other times its really fast. The end result of the picture is its blurry. I'm not sure, but I think its only when I'm taking pictures of people. Its on the default Auto setting. This is with or without a tripod.

Is this a combination of low light and lens limitation? Should I send it back?

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Which AF mode? Is face detect on? How loud is this grinding noise? Do you have any other lenses to test against?

3. Cr0b4r

Cr0b4r Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    S-AF. Face detect is on. Or at least iauto turns it on. The grinding noise is very subtle, not loud. It might be the AF...?

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Try P mode and turn the face detect off. See if it does it then. If it still does then set the AF to S-AF. The sound should stop. I really think what you are hearing the the focus motor switching the focus back and forth. I personally never use the face detect and rarely use C-AF but I did test my copy of that lens on my E-PL2 and did not hear anything disturbing. It does however keep refocusing with those settings. The sound I hear would be vocalized as "vrrrt" or maybe "brrrt". I can only hear it when the camera is close to my head and in a quiet room.

5. Cr0b4r

Cr0b4r Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    I tried your suggestions and it doesn't seem as bad. Your description of the sound is more accurate... a relatively short "vrrrt".

I think I narrowed it down to Portrait or Night mode in lower light. Also my light source is red, not sure if that matters.
    Its a longer "vrrrt" probably almost a second in duration. And thus the blurry outcome.

6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It may be the sound of the stabilization system during long exposures. Look at the shutter speed on shots that had the sound and are blurry.

Fred

7. Cr0b4r

Cr0b4r Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Fred - I think you're right. The shutter speeds are >1/4 sec. How do you adjust shutter speed manually?

8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    You can switch to manual or shutter priority mode, but you can't just raise the shutter speed. You still need the right exposure. It sounds like you're shooting in pretty low light conditions. You need a higher iso.

If you don't understand how iso, aperture and shutter speed interact for a proper exposure stick to program mode and auto iso. Then find a good book that explains exposure. There are also resources on the internet that will help. Stick around here and ask lots of questions.

Fred

• Like Like x 1