Grid

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by britops, Jun 10, 2012.

1. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Why doesnt the E-M5 have a display grid divided into thirds? That's the one I want.

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Read the manual, page 39. "You can display a framing grid to choose the type of grid displayed using LV-Info settings."

3. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    You jumped in with your answer without understanding it was a specific grid i was wanting.
    There are several to chose from but not the rule of 1/3's one I want. I understand why i'd use the diagonal cross but not sure about the others.

4. efoo

efoo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Eddie
    There is. Look properly (mind you not very easy as the menu setting is extensive). I have my rule of third grid line on mine.

5. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    I assume it's the same one as on the E-PL1 - in which case there is a sort of rule of thirds grid option (9 rectangles) but oddly they are not all the same size - the four in each corner are the largest and the one in the middle is the smallest.

On my GF3 and Nex all 9 rectangles of the grid are the same size, so each one accurately marks a third of the image. Also, on my E-PL1 whenever I use the smaller sized focus box the grid disappears which is a bit annoying! The grid stays in place on my GF3 when I use the smaller size focus box on that.

6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Mine also has that screen, but my favorite is the cross-hair with the tick marks followed by the one with 24 blocks, works well with UWA lenses.

7. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    • Like Like x 3
  8. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

Indeed, the Rule of Thirds is the dumbed down version of the Golden Mean.

Steve

• Like Like x 3
  9. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Member efoo thinks different as he says he's using it ??
    I looked properly like suggested but still came to the same conclusion as slith.

10. Kshiz

Kshiz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    So does the golden mean grid not fullfil your needs?

11. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    I understand the rule of thirds technique but will read up more about golden mean. Everyday is school day when it comes to photography :smile:

I'm still surprised there isn't a 1/3 grid

12. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    That's the way it is with all of the Olympus m4/3 cameras, not only the E-M5. It took me a while to get used to this "Golden mean" grid, but I think is its just as effective as a 1/3 grid composition-wise...

• Like Like x 3
  13. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    That golden mean grid doesn't change with selected aspect ratio, which kind of spoils it. The only compositional aid I use is the crosshairs with levels screen, which identifies the centre of the image for focus and spot metering.

14. Kshiz

Kshiz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    Indeed it is. I just learned that it was called "golden mean" as well, but I have been using it for the rule of thirds.