Grid

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by britops, Jun 10, 2012.

1. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Why doesnt the E-M5 have a display grid divided into thirds? That's the one I want.

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Read the manual, page 39. "You can display a framing grid to choose the type of grid displayed using LV-Info settings."

3. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    You jumped in with your answer without understanding it was a specific grid i was wanting.
    There are several to chose from but not the rule of 1/3's one I want. I understand why i'd use the diagonal cross but not sure about the others.

4. efoo

efoo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Eddie
    There is. Look properly (mind you not very easy as the menu setting is extensive). I have my rule of third grid line on mine.

5. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    I assume it's the same one as on the E-PL1 - in which case there is a sort of rule of thirds grid option (9 rectangles) but oddly they are not all the same size - the four in each corner are the largest and the one in the middle is the smallest.

On my GF3 and Nex all 9 rectangles of the grid are the same size, so each one accurately marks a third of the image. Also, on my E-PL1 whenever I use the smaller sized focus box the grid disappears which is a bit annoying! The grid stays in place on my GF3 when I use the smaller size focus box on that.

6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Mine also has that screen, but my favorite is the cross-hair with the tick marks followed by the one with 24 blocks, works well with UWA lenses.

7. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    • Like Like x 3
  8. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

Indeed, the Rule of Thirds is the dumbed down version of the Golden Mean.

Steve

• Like Like x 3
  9. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Member efoo thinks different as he says he's using it ??
    I looked properly like suggested but still came to the same conclusion as slith.

10. Kshiz

Kshiz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    So does the golden mean grid not fullfil your needs?

11. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    I understand the rule of thirds technique but will read up more about golden mean. Everyday is school day when it comes to photography :smile:

I'm still surprised there isn't a 1/3 grid

12. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    That's the way it is with all of the Olympus m4/3 cameras, not only the E-M5. It took me a while to get used to this "Golden mean" grid, but I think is its just as effective as a 1/3 grid composition-wise...

• Like Like x 3
  13. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    That golden mean grid doesn't change with selected aspect ratio, which kind of spoils it. The only compositional aid I use is the crosshairs with levels screen, which identifies the centre of the image for focus and spot metering.

14. Kshiz

Kshiz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    Indeed it is. I just learned that it was called "golden mean" as well, but I have been using it for the rule of thirds.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.