Grid Shortcut

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by luke59, Oct 10, 2014.

1. luke59

luke59 New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2014
    Hello,
    Just got my OMD E-M10 camera yesterday and have been playing around with the settings.
    I just wanted to know if there is a way to get quicker access to the different grids so I don't have to go through all the menus all the time.
    I didn't see it as an option on the custom buttons.
    Thanks

2. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Welcome to the forum.

I'm a predominantly Panasonic user but I'm sure an Olympus user will be along presently to answer your question. :thumbup:

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    What 'grids' are you referring to? First step with all oly cameras is set up the super control panel as standard for all shooting modes. I usually just use dials and buttons for almost everything that needs adjusting, but the SCP is a quick and easy overview of almost all relevant camera settings.

4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Tap the 'OK' button twice. It will open the Super Control Panel on the big LCD screen. Scroll through the options with the 4 buttons surrounding the 'OK'.
    I'm pretty new to the whole digital photography thing so the E-M10 drove me nuts as I tried to use various features and figure out what others were for. Once I got down to shooting and just using the camera, everything fell into place after a couple of months (slow learner much?).
    BTW, the Olympus manual pretty much sucks. Ask lots of questions on this forum and mess around with the camera. You can also reset the camera to factory default if you're really lost in the changes. I keep a list of all the settings I build in the menus. It lets me change things on the fly without worrying there's going to be something left set the wrong way that I won't notice when I go back to general shooting.

5. luke59

luke59 New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2014
    I was referring to the different grids that show up on the viewfinder when your taking a shot.
    Thanks guys I will look at adjusting the super control panel.

Ohh and second the comment on the Olympus manual. I feel more lost after reading it sometimes.

6. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    You can set the viewfinder display in the menu. I finally stripped my display back to what I used to get with my last 35mm SLR. I don't find the histogram display that useful and too distracting from actually shooting pictures.
    You'll find the Olympus manual useful once you have figured out what all the settings do. Otherwise it's a waste of paper for M43 beginners. The E-M10 is a great little camera though.

7. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    For general reference, particularly for nitpicky things that you don't do all the time so you forget how to do them, David Busch's books on the Olympus cameras are very useful. It's a lot easier to look stuff up in his books than to figure it out from the manual.

The bad news is that his book on the E-M10 isn't going to be published until December. Link, in case you're interested. However, the way Olympus sets things up is pretty consistent across the OMDs, so you might consider picking up a copy of the E-M5 or E-M1 book. Much of what's in there would apply to the E-M10 as well.

8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    And biofos.com has a nice setup guide and Spreadsheet for the em1.

Barry

9. luke59

luke59 New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2014
    Sweet. thanks for your help. Going to keep playing around with the camera to get more familiar with it.
    Loving it so far. Its a great camera.
    Lucas