1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Grey Market Gh2: Hacking, Pal vs Ntsc?, and Advice

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by River, Mar 1, 2012.

1. River

River New to Mu-43

Mar 1, 2012
    I may have completely used the search function wrong, and i apologize if i have. As it seems as though everyone else knows all of this info.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

ebay item number: 300587997160

I could put these questions in paragraph form but then i think I'd effectively be unclear, So:

1) With the cheapest lumix 14-142mm being $450 (a lens ive read from forums to be a must have or a full worthy purchase) and this package selling at 1086 am i wrong to see this as buying the lens for $450 and the body for $636 making it an amazing price?

2) At this price, if you wanted a gh2 and didn't own lenses or another would you buy from them? and why? (they provide a 1 yr warranty from defects 90 days labor, with 99% positive feedback with ~40,000 sales) <They must have some confidence in the quality.

3) would i be better off buying the body alone for ~$800 and the 20mm f1.7 for ~$400 New OR Used? (as it is the lens id rather have based on forum content, but could see myself buying both anyway) {i do intend to eventually intend to get 1 or two of these options

FD 50mm F1.8
    summilux dg 25mm
    canon fd 50 1.4 $200.00
    135mm f2 canon $899.00
    50mm f1.4 canon lens $369.00
    28mm f2 canon $249.00
    canon fd 20mm 400.00
    tokina 11-16(nikon w/novoflex adapter) $700.00 + adapter

4) any issues with an import gh2 and the driftwood hack that i'd be concerned with?

5) how reliable are the gh2s anyway??

I know there are a lot of questions here and I appreciate anyones help here.

A BIG Thankyou in advance!

2. lannes

lannes Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    I got my gh2 grey market as well direct from HK, in 6mths it hasn't missed a beat, so I don't think it will be a problem

IMHO the 14-140mm lens is best zoom in the range, I've teamed it up with a 7-14 and the 100-300.

I wouldn't specifically by non-panasonic lens for the 50mm range, I'd just get the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4.

I've used fd and ef lenses on the GH2, but I keep going back to the Panasonic lenses for the AF, if you haven't already got those lens options, I'd consider the panasonic/olympus 4/3 lenses first or only in the situation where a panasonic lens doesn't cover the range eg. 800mm etc.

I'd worried about bricking my body with driftwood

3. River

River New to Mu-43

Mar 1, 2012
    Thanks for the response, I ended up going with us body, used once with box, with these lenses and Sd cards etc included for 1800 shipped, Hopefully a good deal? The AF was very appealing with the panasonic lenses so like you had suggested those are covered.

GH2 Body
    14-140 Lumix lens
    20mm f1.7 Lumix lens
    Vintage Canon FD 50mm f 1.4 lens wit m4/3 adapter
    3 batteries
    2 chargers
    3 16gb SanDisk extreme 30mbs SD cards

Now with the Driftwood Hack, are you saying its just a likely to brick any gh2 or particularly the imports?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.