Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Joe King, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Joe King

Joe King Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hi everyone!

Greetings from Dublin, Ireland. My main interests are in landscape and architectural photography. I am also an ardent hiker and enjoy taking pictures to document my walks. Schlepping a bulky Nikon DSLR and lenses around on hikes of over 20km is no fun so I've had a keen interest in the micro four thirds format since the launch of the first PEN.

My initial experience of the format was not so good. I bought an E-PL1 at a knock-down price and found myself unimpressed with the pictures I was getting, which seemed little better than the output from my old and venerable Canon G5. Disillusioned, I barely touched the camera until, on a whim, I decided to give :43: a second chance and bought the Panasonic 20mm, figuring I could sell it on without taking much of a loss if it didn't work out (the 20mm was still pretty rare at this time). What a difference a good lens makes!

One of the pictures that changed my mind about :43::
    White Rock by Joe_King, on Flickr

The E-PL1 still had a number of issues, especially in relation to ISO and the lack of a viewfinder was very hard to adjust to coming from a DSLR. The launch of the OM-D EM-5 changed all that. I have had mine since last June and it has totally blown me away in what it can do; every bit as good as (and in many ways better than) my Nikon D90. I've since invested heavily in the format, selling a number of my Nikkors to get the Panny 7-14 and 12-50 (I'm more into zooms than primes) and the 35-100 is the latest addition to my family.

The EM-5 is now my primary camera and the D90 is gathering dust. I had initially thought I'd use the EM-5 as my hiking and travel camera and would upgrade to a full-frame Nikon for more "serious" work but the quality of the EM-5 coupled with Nikon's recent quality control issues has meant I no longer feel much of a need for full frame.

So that's it. Apologies for the essay. I've been working over the past few months on a personal project photographing the buildings of my home town, Dublin, during the twilight "blue hour", which I'll share here as I get the pictures on line.

All the best,

• Like Like x 3
  2. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Great landscape shot. I too have sold all my Nikon kit to make the move to M43. I've not been disappointed at all. In fact I'm selling my Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 tonight. Its the last lens to be sold.

I love the IQ, light weight and size of the M43 system.
  3. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    Welcome, and what a great photo to start off with!

I have also switched from Nikon to m43, I used a D60 and D200 with some good (mostly 3rd party) lenses, and sold it off to get more m43 lenses, and have been very happy with the decision.
  4. Welcome from Texas Big D area.
  5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Welcome aboard, Joe!

I sold off my D300 and related kit in a full move to :43: and haven't looked back.

Speaking of backs, mine is much better now :biggrin:.

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    First off: Wow! I love that shot. I'm always a sucker for those "fingers of god" crepuscular rays.

Second: You've got to be kidding with that user name. Your real name can't be Joe King, can it? If so, your parents have a wicked sense of humor.

Third: Welcome! I'm glad you stuck it out with the E-PL1, and I completely concur that the P20 transforms that camera. I also understand why you would have found that body's limitations frustrating, so I can understand why the OM-D feels like the right camera for you. You're building up a very nice set of lenses, too.