Greetings!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by zpuskas, Mar 14, 2011.

1. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I'm new to the Micro 4/3 world---and digital photography in general. I've been photographing for over 40 years; sometimes on, sometimes off. The last five years have been off since my beloved photo group here in SB disolved. I did quite a bit of B&W shooting and printing.
    Since I spent so much time in front of the computer I felt the last thing I wanted to do was manipulate images on the computer in my spare time. So I stopped shooting.
    I recently purchased a GF1 and have found my "second wind" (also cut back on work, which helps). The controls of the camera are more than I could imagine, so I'm learning that, and having some fun along the way; that's what it's about isn't it?

I'll be asking questions and hope to participate in the activities.

Thanks for the help I've received so far.

Zoltan

• Like Like x 3
  2. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome Zoltan - nice to have you on board. I have a GF1 myself and love it. I know what you mean about sitting in front of the computer - it soaks up a lot of time... I do the bare minimum of post-processing. You've certainly chosen a nice camera, and I hope it brings you a lot of pleasure.

All the best,

Colin

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello Zoltan and welcome - glad you found your mojo again.

4. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Welcome Zoltan. That was before my time, but for a soccer/football fan, the name Puskas has a very positive ring to it ;)

Stefan

• Like Like x 1
  5. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Hi Zoltan, welcome to the forum, good to see another lapsed film shooter deciding that digital has something to offer, my eyes were opened a few years ago when I sat in on a digital course.
    You've joined a great forum.

Barrie

6. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Zoltan,

Welcome to the forum, enjoy yourself and ask away. No shortage of knowledge or opinions here...

Cheers From New England, Alan

7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Zoltan, thanks so much for your introduction! I'm a fairly recent convert to digital as well. We're very glad to have you here.:biggrin:

It really is interesting how many former film folks find their second winds at later points in their lives.:thumbup:

8. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    ... And how many of those veterans do so by falling for :43: - there must be something very film-like in those cameras. Not only in the camera, but in the whole processing chain, from shutter release to final print; I know I dipped toes in the digital age on and off for years between 2003 / 2010, always returning at some point toward film. But :43: has pulled me firmly toward digital now, and while I dream from time to time to setup my wet lab again, I know I probably won't. Quality being now about equal between digital and silver, I'd rather go out take pictures rather than lock myself inside a darkroom. (I wrote quality for lack of a better word in the previous sentence, but it's more about feeling and mood rather than sheer IQ - I have had neat digital cameras before, but the feeling just wasn't there, images felt plastic-y and lifeless to me, while :43:'s are vibrant and bursting with personality).

Cheers,

9. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Yes, but unfortunately, I'm not related to the more famous Puskas!!