Greetings

Glennn

Mu-43 Regular
Hi all,
I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, taking in the sights, and figured it's time to introduce myself.

First, I want t of thank Bob T for recommending this spot, and also for giving me reason to drag myself out from under the rock I've been living under regarding digital photo tech.

The semi long winded tale of how I ended up here....
I took a photography course at the local community college back in the mid 90s. The class was an elective... filler... something to do that sounded possibly ok... It turns out that I quite enjoyed it, and ended up doing the associate degree course. The courses were primarily 35mm B&W with a semester in medium format and one in color. Unbeknownst to me until recently, the instructor, a quiet mannered, older gentleman was a fairly regarded photographer, but I knew him as an enjoyable teacher.
During my time at the college there was an enlightening class trip the Eastman House, and as a result of this trip, I became interested in the historic processes and later attended several workshops where we got to dabble in the ways of times gone by, learn, and make photos as they did before film was a thing..... its an aspect of photography I've yet to revisit, but hope to. The images I made there are like little treasures to me.

By the time I completed photo program reality was quickly catching up, and soon artful photography and darkroom time would give way to utilitarian 35mm photography of a growing family with film processed / printed at the local photo store. Then a digital point and shoot replaced the trusty old Pentax cameras, and my passion for photography was at an all time low and more or less shelved, but not forgotten.

Fast forward to 2013... I joined a motorcycle forum, cycles being another love of mine, and my interest in photography began to reawaken, and with a moderately capable cell phone, and the digital point and shoot, I began taking pictures again, but more often then not they left me disappointed and frustrated due to their lacking the control I came to know and love with my film cameras, especially in low light situations. I just couldn't capture what mind saw with them.

At the chiding of a friend who I semi regularly share photos with, I joined Instagram which pulled me back in even more. Between that and a couple of photo threads at the motorcycle forum with some really good instigators (meant in a good way), I finally decided that its time to get a real camera. As noted earlier, Bob was very helpful in pointing me to some good reading and research. I thought that an SLR was the be all, end all of digital photography and had never heard of mirrorless, 4/3, etc... yes, that rock I was under had moss growing it...

Anyway, thanks for having me. My new camera is wrapped and waiting until Christmas. Then I can play..
I'm excited to see where my photography will go from here.

Glen.

KeithT

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Keith Temlett
Welcome Glenn, I was also a lurker here for a while before joining.

Lots of good folk here - arguably the best :mu43: site on the web (I think so anyways).

Only 6 days left before you can unwrap and start playing:yahoo:

Glennn

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks Gents.
Sandy, I'm not sure if suckered in is accurate.... followed like a lemming maybe accurate though. It's definitely cool to see some familiar faces, and Sandy, you are one of those good phorography instigators I mentioned.

The amount of tech info here is a bit overwhelming and my intent is to absorb what is helpful, but not to get bogged down to the point that tech becomes more important then the image.
I like things simple..

WT21

Super Moderator
Hi Glennn...welcome aboard. Love your avatar!

There are a couple of bikers here (I am not one of them sadly), but I'm sure they'll show up to say hi in time.

Looking forward to seeing some pics once you get your new camera.

Glennn

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks. The avatar pic was me just goofing around when the bike was apart.
There is a small contingent (four I know of) from the cycle forum I'm on... I've been making my way thru the motorcycle thread on here. I'll be adding to it as time / weather allows.

Glennn

Mu-43 Regular
With the new camera waiting and all of this techy stuff in my mind, I went backwards tonight and was revisiting my old 90s photography stuff from the school days that is packed in a tote...... and went alllll the way back...

Daugerrotype made at one of the workshops. What a PITA to photograph. Imagine taking a picture of a mirror, but avoiding capturing a reflection.... this also shows up a bit darker then in real time.
The picture doesn't do it justice- it has an other worldly quality.
I'd love to claim I did this on my own, but the exposure (several seconds) was was given by the instructor. The composition was mine though.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Daguerreotype circa 1996 by Glen Brenner, on Flickr

New Jersey (South) and Northeast Pennsylvania
Real Name
Holly
With the new camera waiting and all of this techy stuff in my mind, I went backwards tonight and was revisiting my old 90s photography stuff from the school days that is packed in a tote...... and went alllll the way back...

Daugerrotype made at one of the workshops. What a PITA to photograph. Imagine taking a picture of a mirror, but avoiding capturing a reflection.... this also shows up a bit darker then in real time.
The picture doesn't do it justice- it has an other worldly quality.
I'd love to claim I did this on my own, but the exposure (several seconds) was was given by the instructor. The composition was mine though.
View attachment 704486Daguerreotype circa 1996 by Glen Brenner, on Flickr

Lol. Never heard of “Daguerrotype,” however, long exposures are on my bucket list for 2019.

Glennn

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks again.
My GASmask is called single income family with kids... living in New Jersey. I consider the new camera an extravagant gift for myself. I would have been fine with used, but my wife preferred new.

Regarding Daugerrotypes, they are one of the first types of photography. Image is on a silver plated metal plate sensitized, exposed, then developed by exposing it to..... mercury vapor.
Mid 1800s tech.

Glennn

Mu-43 Regular
Hello all,
It's been a good while and busy at home. I'm still learning on the new camera.... I have a long way to go, and need to spend some quality time with it.....
Anyway, this is for a photo thread on another forum I'm on. I'm pretty pleased with it. Still life / set up photos are something I have done very little of. It's entertaining.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
GS fairings. by Glen Brenner, on Flickr

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom