1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Greetings need advice

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by blazeyellow, Feb 5, 2015.

1. blazeyellow

blazeyellow New to Mu-43

Feb 5, 2015
    I have an Oly OM-D M-5 with a 12-50mm zuiko lens - this lens does Macro - my ?? is if I were to purchase an Oly OM 35mm f3.5 macro manual focus with an adapter would I get closer macro shots?? than the 12-50mm OR would there be a better OM lens for Macro?? or other film lens
    lens is the OM 50mm 3.5 manual focus NOT 35mm sorry

trying to keep a budget of $200 for lens & adapter

note - do not want to spend $$$ for the Oly 60mm macro

thanks in advance

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    If the OM is 1:2 macro, then it'd give somewhat better magnification; if it's 1:1 then it'd be much better.

But for $200 you can find a 4/3 ZD 35mm 1:1 Macro Lens with one of the cheaper (electronic) adapters.

Amazon has it used for $130:
    http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-35mm-3-5-Macro-Series/dp/B000BTFZZA

and Panasonic adapters are $99 retail, or there is a Fotodiox (iirc) electronic adapter for around $50 retail.

Do not get a passive/non-electronic adapter for a ZD lens.

Barry

3. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  4. blazeyellow

blazeyellow New to Mu-43

Feb 5, 2015
    really made a mistake lens I want to purchase is the OM 50mm 3/5 manual focus not the 35mm

5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    You can get an adapter that gives you full control (as if it was a native micro 4/3 lens) of the lens for $50-$70

6. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    If even Olympus website doesn't give a 1:x life-size indicator the I wouldn't consider the 12-50 to be that much of a macro lens, it's also a bit slow for macro work (f/3.5 on the wide end and a rather dark 6.3 on the telephoto end)

I would aim for at least 1:2 (some can be made 1:1 with a 2x teleconverter, but it will reduce the light on the lens) with at least f/2.8 or faster.

Can you get stellar macro images with a slower lens? (6.3 is over 2 stops darker than f/2.8 meaning a shot needing 1/60th @ f/2.8 would need 1/15 @ f/5.6 and slower at f/6.3). You can, but you may have trouble focusing up close, or needing to bump the iso up, or use slower shutter and you won't get that shallowness like you would with a 2.8 1:1 or 1:2 lens when you want it, but that's mainly speaking of available light, as opposed to using ring flashes.

7. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The 12-50mm's macro magnification is specified as 0.36x (i.e. better than 1:3) at 43mm. It's the strongest pseudo-macro available in mu-43.

Barry

8. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    1:3 ain't bad at all though, I prefer a little distance between the subject and the lens (ie: 43mm a little short, but for all intents and purposes close to the same as 50/60).
    Just didn't realize the macro option in a native M-4/3 zoom lens was that limited. (or 4/3 if the lens mentioned is the DSLR version of the lens as mentioned earlier).

This is of course coming from a guy who uses a 90mm f/2.8 1:1 as his dedicated macro lens.

9. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I just adapted my DSLR 90mm lens and have photos of 2:1 ratio :)

10. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    My manual focus Tamron SP90 F2.5 Macro AD2 from my OM3 works well for macro and "sports" tele due to the long focus throw making follow focus easy. Looks like the FF 90's are popular - I find the greater working distance to also be helpful.

Whilst the "macro" mode on the 12-50 (more of close focus really) is useful to have in walkabout lens and I was pleasantly surprised with the results from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Please understand there are some users getting really beautiful MACRO photos with your 12-50 lens.

spend your cash on a better ringflash or other flash setup?

12. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've never shot macro with such wide apertures except when focus stacking - the DoF is way too small if going beyond 1:2. The only time a wide aperture has given me enough DoF is when doing mere close-ups (e.g. roses), nowhere near 1:2.

What is the problem with the 12-50 exactly? Is it just not enough magnification at 1:3?

• Like Like x 1
  13. blazeyellow

blazeyellow New to Mu-43

Feb 5, 2015
    What is the problem with the 12-50 exactly? Is it just not enough magnification at 1:3?

nothing wrong with the 12-50 1:3 really want a Macro but can't afford the Oly 60MM $$$

also want to use a lens with manual settings

thank you ALL for your wealth of knowledge

14. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I don't know if it makes a difference, but when the Oly 60mm macro shows up in the Olympus refurb store (US store - not sure where you are located), the price has been $319 lately, and if you happen to find one during one of the 20% off sales it would be even less. I know that is a bit more than you're willing to spend, but far less than the retail price of the lens. I got mine from the refurb store for $319 and it looked brand new and works flawlessly. It could be worth saving up a bit longer to get a real macro. I am so glad that I did.

• Like Like x 1
  15. blazeyellow

blazeyellow New to Mu-43

Feb 5, 2015
    thanks Wendy did NOT know of the Oly refurb store will really have to consider the price is much better

16. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The MCON-P01 on the 40-150 gives 0.47x mag and on the 14-150 it does 0.40x. $120 for the lens and $60 for the adapter new, cheaper used.

• Like Like x 1
  17. blazeyellow

blazeyellow New to Mu-43

Feb 5, 2015
    only wish there was an Oly 60mm available

18. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Watch our Deals forum here at mu-43 - when Olympus replenishes the stock of refurbs someone usually posts about it here pretty quickly. I saw one of those posts and that's how I managed to snag a 60mm refurb. All of the most sought after lenses go fast. You also could bookmark this page and check it a few times/day http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outlet/reconditioned-lenses.html

19. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'll throw a mention to the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 as well. I've one in Nikon mount I adapted to m43 and use it with focus peaking on my EM1 all the time. Works great, really sharp.

I even did some hand-held with IBIS active and they came out surprisingly well.

20. blazeyellow

blazeyellow New to Mu-43

Feb 5, 2015
    Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 2.31.18 PM.

60mm macro found one on Ebay & I am sooooooo excited seller agreed to do a BIN for $300.00 + shipping
    never thought he would but then you will never know the answer to your question if you don't ask
    thank youl for your help Diane

• Like Like x 1