Greetings! Just got my first camera with an interchangeable lens OM-D EM-5

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by rbsp7, Mar 12, 2014.

1. rbsp7

rbsp7 New to Mu-43

Mar 11, 2014
    Hi everybody,

Like the title says I just purchased my first camera with an interchangeable lens. I chose a 4/3 camera because I'm an avid backpacker and weight and size was a big deal to me. I asked around on different websites and the EM-5 was the most recommended camera, I looked at one in person and loved it.

I'll admit I don't much about cameras (I've only used my iPhone 5) and I have steep hill to climb to get the most out of this camera. Any tips on upkeep, care or anything else I should know would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

p.s. I already setup the SCP!

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's a big learning curve coming from an iPhone! Get to know the camera day-to-day before going on trips with it - you don't want to be fiddling about while you're out travelling. Read the manual - it's a pretty complex beast, and very customizable. You got an interchangeable lens camera, but as you haven't got much experience yet, try to avoid buying more lenses until you've shot with the kit ones for a while and gotten to know their strengths and weaknesses, and what might be lacking. If you got more than one lens with the kit, practice changing lenses. One of the downsides of interchangeable lens cameras is having to change lenses in the field! It's a bit awkward when you have to do it yourself with only two hands and no surface to rest the lenses on, so it pays to get familiar with doing that before you go travelling.