greetings - i'm patti

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by pcake, May 5, 2010.

1. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    hi there. i'm patti and i live in the hills under the hollywood sign. in 2006 i got a fuji s9100, which is a digicam with manual zoom and dslr-like controls and features. i had a lot of fun with it, but the iq wasn't all i'd like, so when i could i got a canon 30d. while i took a lot of pics with it, over time i noticed i had less and less enthusiasm. i found myself using my husband's extra camera, a small samsung dslr. i realized i had all but stopped taking pics.

less than two weeks ago at fry's, my son pointed out a couple cameras to me - an e-p1 and an nx10. after playing with them, i realized that there were two reasons i had lost the photography bug. one - i was tired of lugging a large camera, bag and lenses around. two - i'm 5' 3" with small hands, and the grip on most cameras wasn't comfortable. that was taking away from the fun from shooting pics. the nx10, however, was very comfortable.

after a couple days of obsessing and reading everything i could find, i discovered that there wasn't enough lenses for the nx10 and i got really interested in micro four thirds. i re-visited the e-p1 at fry's, but decided i wanted a grip. i saw the e-pl1 at best buy, spent some time with it twice, but after all my reading, i really wanted to see the gf1. once i tracked one down, it was incredibly comfortable - in fact, the most comfortable camera i've ever used.

i found one for a good price, ordered it - and am now waiting, and learning more about micro four thirds, four thirds in general, comparing more lenses, etc. i chose the zoom kit lens rather than the pancake. the pancake is VERY tempting, and i plan it to head my birthday possible gift list this year, as will be the 45-200 lens.

i can't wait!

btw, did you know that panasonic will honor warranties in the u.s. with the original receipt even if the camera was a model sold in another country? i think that's very cool - the entire "grey market" thing with lenses is cheesy, and it's nice to know that panasonic deals with this so differently.

• Like Like x 1
  2. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    welcome So Cal neighbor

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome patti - a few of us here have downsized kit like you (although unlike you I'm 6'4").

4. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome Patti.

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Patti, congratulations on your GF1 and welcome aboard!

6. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Welcome Patti! Looking forward to seeing some of your photos when you get your GF1

7. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
  8. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    wow, this is a friendly board. thanks for the welcomes, all :) 

9. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi patti, welcome to the home of m4/3rds... please do make yourself at home :friends:

Cheers

Brian

10. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    love my gf1 .....welcome

11. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, make up a plan.
    Buy all those lenses as fast as you can;
    Pancakes and zoom weights and wide primes to go,
    Put 'em all together now in a long row.

Patty cake, patty cake, act on your plan.
    Use all those lenses as as fast as you can;
    Gear lust fights lens rust much better than nowt,
    Shoot them all now, then give us a shout!

Patty cake, patty cake, hang with the clan!

• Like Like x 2
  12. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    *LOL* @ Bokeh Diem's jingle :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Howdy to you pcake from Australia! What's the history behind your creative avatar name- i'd love to find out. Is it something to do in relation to the pancake lens? ;-)

icon

14. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    i'm afraid nothing that interesting. my name is patti, and even though i'm not a cute girly type, all my buddies called me patticake for decades, which i eventually shortened to pcake.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.