greetings - i'm patti

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by pcake, May 5, 2010.

1. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    hi there. i'm patti and i live in the hills under the hollywood sign. in 2006 i got a fuji s9100, which is a digicam with manual zoom and dslr-like controls and features. i had a lot of fun with it, but the iq wasn't all i'd like, so when i could i got a canon 30d. while i took a lot of pics with it, over time i noticed i had less and less enthusiasm. i found myself using my husband's extra camera, a small samsung dslr. i realized i had all but stopped taking pics.

less than two weeks ago at fry's, my son pointed out a couple cameras to me - an e-p1 and an nx10. after playing with them, i realized that there were two reasons i had lost the photography bug. one - i was tired of lugging a large camera, bag and lenses around. two - i'm 5' 3" with small hands, and the grip on most cameras wasn't comfortable. that was taking away from the fun from shooting pics. the nx10, however, was very comfortable.

after a couple days of obsessing and reading everything i could find, i discovered that there wasn't enough lenses for the nx10 and i got really interested in micro four thirds. i re-visited the e-p1 at fry's, but decided i wanted a grip. i saw the e-pl1 at best buy, spent some time with it twice, but after all my reading, i really wanted to see the gf1. once i tracked one down, it was incredibly comfortable - in fact, the most comfortable camera i've ever used.

i found one for a good price, ordered it - and am now waiting, and learning more about micro four thirds, four thirds in general, comparing more lenses, etc. i chose the zoom kit lens rather than the pancake. the pancake is VERY tempting, and i plan it to head my birthday possible gift list this year, as will be the 45-200 lens.

i can't wait!

btw, did you know that panasonic will honor warranties in the u.s. with the original receipt even if the camera was a model sold in another country? i think that's very cool - the entire "grey market" thing with lenses is cheesy, and it's nice to know that panasonic deals with this so differently.

• Like Like x 2
  2. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    welcome So Cal neighbor

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome patti - a few of us here have downsized kit like you (although unlike you I'm 6'4").

4. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome Patti.

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Patti, congratulations on your GF1 and welcome aboard!

6. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Welcome Patti! Looking forward to seeing some of your photos when you get your GF1

7. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
  8. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    wow, this is a friendly board. thanks for the welcomes, all :)

9. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi patti, welcome to the home of m4/3rds... please do make yourself at home :friends:

Cheers

Brian

10. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    love my gf1 .....welcome

11. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, make up a plan.
    Buy all those lenses as fast as you can;
    Pancakes and zoom weights and wide primes to go,
    Put 'em all together now in a long row.

Patty cake, patty cake, act on your plan.
    Use all those lenses as as fast as you can;
    Gear lust fights lens rust much better than nowt,
    Shoot them all now, then give us a shout!

Patty cake, patty cake, hang with the clan!

• Like Like x 4
  12. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    *LOL* @ Bokeh Diem's jingle :biggrin:

• Like Like x 4
  13. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Howdy to you pcake from Australia! What's the history behind your creative avatar name- i'd love to find out. Is it something to do in relation to the pancake lens? ;-)

icon

14. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    i'm afraid nothing that interesting. my name is patti, and even though i'm not a cute girly type, all my buddies called me patticake for decades, which i eventually shortened to pcake.