Greetings from Wiltshire,UK

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by harry_s, Aug 13, 2011.

1. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I've posted a couple times but forgot to introduce myself.

I'm Chris, 29 years old and have lived all my life in the gorgeous county of Wiltshire, in the South West of England.

I've shot motorsport for the past 4 years or so with a D50 / D90 and various heavy lens (Nikon 80-200 2.8, Sigma 120-300 2.8, Nikon 300 f4) and after getting a fair bit of interest and work from circuits, drivers and even a few car manufacturers (with shots taken from public positions) I decided I've taken it as far as I want to go as a hobby... I sold it all and bought an E-PL2, as I wanted a 'take everywhere' camera to enable me to shoot more of my local area (which I've really neglected in terms of photography).

I've fallen for Micro 4/3s so much I'm adding a GH2 next week for those times where space isn't such a concern, I might even have a sneaky attempt at motorsport for fun as I keep hearing Micro 4/3 is useless for fast sports...
  2. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Welcome Chris!

Where in Wilts? I lived for a bit over a year in Wanborough just outside of Swindon back in the late 90s. It really is a beautiful part of Britain.
  3. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    Welcome to this fine and friendly forum.

Wiltshire is one of the most photogenic landscapes IMHO. The hill forts, villages, rolling scenery, chalk downs and wildlife are unmatched.

Spent much of my youth alternately admiring, then destroying its pastoral tranquility with a large Kawasaki and a very small silencer. Sorry Wiltshire.
  4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Chris.
  5. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Yer just like me
    Only it was motorcycle racing, and using standard 4/3 e-30 stuff and moving to ep3.
    Ok so not JUST like me, but similar enuf ;)

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  6. Caroline

Caroline Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2010
    Hi Chris,

Interesting to hear about your motorsports shooting as that's one of my main subjects too. Yes in general micro-4/3 up to now has not really been a "sports" system due to the shortcomings of the CDAF autofocus and other issues (see below). However I am hearing great things about the new "third generation" Olympus Pens in that department and am eager to try them out for motorsports. I am planning on buying either an E-P3 or E-PL3 in the next few weeks (hopefully before the 6 Hours of Silverstone in early Sept and/or the Goodwood Revival the week after) and will be interested to see how it compares with my 40D.

BTW, it IS possible to get decent motorsports shots with even the first generation Pen (E-P1, which I have, and which is notorious for its slow AF) BUT you have to go back to shooting in manual focus mode most of the time, and pretty much in one shot mode. The biggest issues I have found are the slow servo AF and the long shot-to-shot blackout time in continuous mode, which renders the camera almost useless when panning if you want to take more than one shot. The lack of an EVF on the E-P1 is also a challenge although I have found that I get a better hit rate if I hold the camera at arms' length whilst panning.

As I get far fewer "keepers" with the Pen than I do with the Canon so far it has meant I am still lugging several kilos worth of gear every time I go to a race meeting, so it would certainly be nice to have a system that can get 90% of the way to a DSLR for fast sports but at about a quarter of the total weight to carry! Let's hope the E-P(L)3 lives up to expectations!

Best wishes,

Edited to add a couple of shots taken with the Pen at Le Mans this year:
    • Like Like x 2
  7. raviliousness

raviliousness Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2011
    Reading, UK
    Welcome Chris :thumbup:

Lovely part of the country Wiltshire...

I started with a GF-1 and have added a GH-2 too - really love them both! Enjoy the GH-2, it's a very versatile piece of kit especially if you're coming from an SLR background. I'm mostly legacy lenses on my system although I have a few native lenses too...

8. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Hey, I like cars!!!
  9. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

G'day and

<a href="" title="welcome by iconindustries, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="272" alt="welcome"></a>

Hope to see you around and your pictures as well. Sounds like i'll have to duck over and check out Wiltshire when I visit London:smile:

10. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
  11. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Chuckgoolsbee - Hilperton (near Trowbridge), about 5 minutes south of Bradford-on-Avon, 15 minutes from Bath.

Caroline - great to hear from a motorsport shooter, whilst it's obviously not my primary aim I'm really lookng forward to giving it a go, should hopefully have the GH2 by this weekend. I have Castle Combe just 20 minutes drive (and Thruxton about 40mins) so spoilt for choice locally.