Greetings from Virginia

va3pinner

Mu-43 Regular
Greetings from Virginia
Just outside of Shenandoah NP, and a hop from favorite haunts in the mountains of WV.

New to the forum, I really like what i've seen so far, and really appreciate the reponses to my questions on several threads already!

I'm a long time photographer, but got away from it for some time. Bought a DSLR a few years ago (Olympus Evolt-510) and was hooked.
I'm an avid backpacker, x/c skier, and for years lugged around my Minolta film cameras (1970' - 1980s era) (yeah I'm that old). Took a LOT of slides!
Digital had a real appeal, because I could tweak stuff in camera, and if I scratched my head enough, I could tweak it on my computer. So I do have a bit (inconsistent really!) of experience there. My tendency is to try to get the image right in camera because with slide film there was no room for error. I shoot JPG and RAW consisently.

Went from the E-510 to the Panny G2, and recently made the flying leap to the G9 (talk about culture shock!).I've been collecting their Leica zooms because I mostly do landscape and environmental type photos.

I'm finally beginning to remember (re-learn!) my photo skills, trying to get a system down for Post Processing. There will be several questions about using Darktable and RawTherapee in my threads. And I am glad to share whatever gems I find along the way.

I give myself assignments. For example, I'm leaving autofocus off for the rest of the month. All photos manual. The Minolta's were manual focus only so it shouldn't be that hard. And I find the Panny autofocus blazing fast, except where there is a busy background. So it's training time! Right now I'm just capturing images. I'm learning the G9 and the capability of the lenses. When that becomes a bit more automatic in my head, I'll start looking for the light/texture/shape that I used to know so well.
I'll be posting photos for criticism, best way to learn. I really appreciate the help I have received so far, and am looking forward to contributing when I can. I do have a sense of humor, and some of my replys may reflect that. But I try to NEVER reply in an offensive manner. If I come across that way, I'll apologize early.

Other info - I wish I were a photographer by trade, but I'm not (yet).I make a lot of sawdust for a living. Finish carpenter and woodworker (when I can get into a shop). Ready to retire, which is why I'm investing in some prime gear right now.I'm hoping it will last me a while.

Oh yeah - Va3Pinner.I have an obsession with long slippery skinny boards under my feet in the winter time. X/C and Tele. At this writing, it's only 5 months and about 2 weeks until snow season.......
Looking forward to working with all of you!
Bruce

Real Name
Butch Oakey
Greetings from Virginia
Just outside of Shenandoah NP, and a hop from favorite haunts in the mountains of WV.

New to the forum, I really like what i've seen so far, and really appreciate the reponses to my questions on several threads already!

I'm a long time photographer, but got away from it for some time. Bought a DSLR a few years ago (Olympus Evolt-510) and was hooked.
I'm an avid backpacker, x/c skier, and for years lugged around my Minolta film cameras (1970' - 1980s era) (yeah I'm that old). Took a LOT of slides!
Digital had a real appeal, because I could tweak stuff in camera, and if I scratched my head enough, I could tweak it on my computer. So I do have a bit (inconsistent really!) of experience there. My tendency is to try to get the image right in camera because with slide film there was no room for error. I shoot JPG and RAW consisently.

Went from the E-510 to the Panny G2, and recently made the flying leap to the G9 (talk about culture shock!).I've been collecting their Leica zooms because I mostly do landscape and environmental type photos.

I'm finally beginning to remember (re-learn!) my photo skills, trying to get a system down for Post Processing. There will be several questions about using Darktable and RawTherapee in my threads. And I am glad to share whatever gems I find along the way.

I give myself assignments. For example, I'm leaving autofocus off for the rest of the month. All photos manual. The Minolta's were manual focus only so it shouldn't be that hard. And I find the Panny autofocus blazing fast, except where there is a busy background. So it's training time! Right now I'm just capturing images. I'm learning the G9 and the capability of the lenses. When that becomes a bit more automatic in my head, I'll start looking for the light/texture/shape that I used to know so well.
I'll be posting photos for criticism, best way to learn. I really appreciate the help I have received so far, and am looking forward to contributing when I can. I do have a sense of humor, and some of my replys may reflect that. But I try to NEVER reply in an offensive manner. If I come across that way, I'll apologize early.

Other info - I wish I were a photographer by trade, but I'm not (yet).I make a lot of sawdust for a living. Finish carpenter and woodworker (when I can get into a shop). Ready to retire, which is why I'm investing in some prime gear right now.I'm hoping it will last me a while.

Oh yeah - Va3Pinner.I have an obsession with long slippery skinny boards under my feet in the winter time. X/C and Tele. At this writing, it's only 5 months and about 2 weeks until snow season.......
Looking forward to working with all of you!
Bruce
Welcome to the forum, it's a great place to get information and ideas. Have been to Virginia a lot since we are neighbors (I'm in Chattanooga, Tennessee) and really like the Blue Ridge Parkway and Natural Bridge - you sure have a lot of places to get some good shots.

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you are set up well for landscape during your hikes/cross country travels.

Please do share some images when you have the time.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom