1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

greetings from Vancouver

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by IcemanYVR, Nov 19, 2012.

1. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    Just thought I'd drop in and say hi... I'm a long time photographer, having worked in the business and been involved with digital since the days of the Nikon D1.

I'm came here looking for info on the µ43 system, and found almost everything I was looking for. I'm also a member over at the Nikon Cafe, and recognize a few of the same names here as well.

Looks like a great system, can't wait until I get my new gear :smile:

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the user group, Allan!

Good luck with your research - look forward to seeing your m4/3 images.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome, glad to have you with us! :thumbup:

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome aboard!

Regards,

Jim

5. cpt000

cpt000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    First stop suggested: lens image threads. My personal favorites are the Panasonic 25mm, Oly 9-18 and the Oly 40-150.

6. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    Thank you everyone, basically figured out what I'm getting, looking forward to hanging out here... :thumbup:

7. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    Welcome fellow Vancouverite. I'm also new to the 4/3 game. Just bought the E-PM3 with the kit lens. Hoping to get some additional lenses shortly. Care to share what you will be getting in terms of hardware?

8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Welcome! Always nice to see another Vancouverite. Got a decent representation here.

9. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    Thanks, where do you buy your equipment? Best place I've found seems to Broadway Camera on Broadway in Vancouver.

I'm getting a full µ43 system. G5/14-42PZ, 7-14, 20, 45/1.8, 45-175 and assorted extras...

10. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    Whoops...mistake. I bought the E-PL5 recently (not the PM3).
    Purchased through Kerrisdale Camera in Richmond. Great service. Just wanted something smaller to carry with me on trips instead of carrying my 7D and 17-55.
    Now I need to get myself a prime for indoor/low light. Not sure whether to get the 45mm or the 20mm. I'll have to shoot for a while and see what focal length I use most with this little beast.
    Broadway Camera does have limited offering for the 4/3 systems but I have purchased dlsr equipment through them before and was very happy with the service.

11. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    One thing you could do is go through your favorite pictures you took with the 17-55 and see what focal length you used the most. You might be surprised. As much flexibility as a zoom offers, I'm usually at the widest, longest, or somewhere in the middle.

12. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Greetings from YAV (Yet Another Vancouverite).
    I got into u43's a few months back coming from 10+ years of Canon DSLRs. My 7D sensor has not seen a photon since.
    I have used Broadway Camera's for the DSLR purchases...but Lens&Shutter has great selection on Olympus m43 stuff. Actually, I got my OM-D EM5 from London Drugs!!!...in kerrisdale...they were the only place in the region to have cameras back when I started to hunt. They also got my a spare battery when the supply was non-existent globally.
    I've rediscovered manual focus joys with a legacy OM 50mm f1.4 & adaptor on this camera. Wonderful Bokeh. $100 lens + $50 adaptor. Got me so amp'd I've purchased a Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95...m43 mount but still fully manual. Search for images with this wonderful piece of glass!

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Welcome to the forum, I hope your are pleasantly surprised with your new equipment.

Gary

14. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Hi and welcome to the forum!