1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Greetings from the San Francisco Bay Area

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by anrima, May 22, 2014.

1. anrima

anrima Mu-43 Rookie

May 20, 2014
    Vallejo, CA
    Drew
    Hello all!

My name is Andrew and I am new to the micro 4/3 realm of photography. My last camera was an ancient Nikon N6006 that I stopped using 10 years ago, since them I've had various point and shoots and recently just smart phones. I started looking through some of my old photographs and compositions I'd made, that coupled with working as a merchant mariner on ships and going on my honeymoon to Central America this summer has prompted me to start looking at cameras again. I'd been leaning towards the Olympus OM-D EM-1 and this past weekend a deal at an authorized retailer was offered to me that I couldn't resist, and I am now the proud owner of an EM-1 with the 12-40mm Pro lens. So far I am incredibly happy with the camera and have found myself carrying it everywhere and playing with it quite a bit.

I've attached a few of the images I have shot and edited/cropped as I learn some new tools (the camera and lightroom) and work to develop a workflow that works for me. I'm currently trying to figure out a solution for offloading and backing up pictures while backpacking around Central America on my honeymoon, I'm leaning towards an 11" MacBook Air, but the price is killing me especially considering I have a 3 month old 15" rMBP. I'm currently fiddling with a solution to use USB On the go and possibly a Note 3 or a Nexus 7 as a solution to get the files off and back them up to DropBox/Box.net.

I'd love some feed back on my post processing, crops and composition. Look forward to being an active member of the community!

anrima

P5190085.

P5200032.

P5200035.

• Like Like x 1
  2. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Andrew, welcome to the forum. I use an iPad and a portable wifi device to backup my images off my iPad or camera to a hd. The device also is a battery backup to charge up your devices on the go. A real Swiss army device! It works with android or iOS and regular desktop OS! I would suggest a tablet for your on the go travels. Here is a post I made of the ravpower device I use. http://digitalchemicals.blogspot.com/2013/09/on-go-backup-more-ways-than-one.html

Thx

3. anrima

anrima Mu-43 Rookie

May 20, 2014
    Vallejo, CA
    Drew
    Thanks Edward, I will look into it - does it support SDXC - the amazon reviews only mention SDHC.

I've bookmarked your blog and am going to pick through your workflow a little bit and give it a try. I'm still leaning towards the MacBook Air simply because of the convenience of the computer; but at the same time if I can reduce down to simply an iPad mini that would cut almost 2 lbs out of my pack.

Do you have any other posts you would recommend on your blog?

Best,
    Drew

4. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    hmm not sure on the SDXC since I use 16gb cards… Yeah, check out my workflow while you are browsing.. You will find some new updates to the flow, as I have been tweaking how I do things to either process faster or make it a bit more efficient.

The thing I like about the iPad is when you are connected to the internet it will automatically start backing up your images back to your home computer. (Mac or PC) so that right there is also a means of a backup. The trick with this is if you plan on shooting RAW + Jpg, then only the jpg will get transferred. If you shoot raw only, then you are good. When I shot RAWs with my OLYs (now strictly jpg for the last few months) thats how I did it. RAW only, processed with Photogene. Then in my aperture library I would have the RAW file & the processed jpg.

Feel free to ask any questions.. I love sharing this stuff!

5. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Welcome Andrew, I'm looking forward to seeing some images of the SF area.

I've found that one of the best things about belonging to an online photography forum is that it makes me look at my surroundings in a different way. It forces me to remind myself that just because I see the same things so often they become commonplace, there are folk here who haven't seen what I see regularly. Of course the feedback is great too - I'm not talking about 'ooh-ing and aah-ing'!

Here's to your newly rediscovered passion, I'm looking forward to seeing more. :thumbup:

6. anrima

anrima Mu-43 Rookie

May 20, 2014
    Vallejo, CA
    Drew
    edwardconde,

So I made my decision on the workflow for my trip. I decided to go with a Samsung tablet (still bringing an ipad with the wife), I decided on this because of USB OTG. I went with the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4" which has a microsd slot compatible to 64 GB. I can then hook up a USB OTG cable and plug a thumb drive, or a usb hard drive into the tablet and mount it. This allows for easy back up, storage and manipulation. I got the Tab on a trade and had a USB OTG cable already. I think this might just work well. ;-) I'll let you know how the experiment goes.

Drew

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The hard part about living in the SF bay area is folks from all over the globe have come and photographed most everything myriad times for decades. Being immerse in the location tends to render one blind to the grandeur all around. Work on 'fixing' that issue to force yourself to break new ground and amazing things can happen!

Or you could just work with some Sporks.

• Like Like x 1