1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Greetings From the Garden State

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Biro, May 8, 2011.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Hi there... I've been involved with photography since the film days of the 1970s. My first SLR was a Minolta SRT-200 with 50mm Rokkor-X f/2.0 lens... which I still own BTW. I currently have a full Pentax DSLR kit but got into micro four thirds early in 2010 with the purchase of an Olympus E-PL1. A fine camera, whose only fault (at least to me) was a rear LCD that was impossible to use in bright sunlight.

So when I lost (don't ask) my E-PL1 and $250 VF-2 electronic viewfinder while on vacation this summer, I replaced it in the fall with a leftover (but brand-new) Panasonic G1 that was offered for $400 on Amazon.com. I have been enjoying the camera and its built-in viewfinder ever since, I have added the Lumix 45-200mm and 100-300mm telephotos and both the 14mm f/2.5 and 20mm f/1.7 pancake lenses. This micro four-thirds kit is used for at least 50 percent of my current shooting.

Next on the list? Perhaps a GH2 or another Olympus once they unveil some of their new cameras this year. I would love it if either Panasonic or Olympus (or both!) would introduce a rangefinder-style camera with built-in viewfinder - kind of a micro four-thirds version of the Fujifilm X100 but with interchangeable lenses. Micro four-thirds is the biggest breath of fresh air to hit photography in the digital era.

2. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Well said, Biro, and welcome to the forum. It's a great place to be. Down here in Australia we love the Mu43 format, and especially love the forum. Everyone stays so calm, and you learn so much. We look forward to seeing some pictures soon
    Cheers
    DUD

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Freehold! I grew up in Brick. Welcome to the forum.

4. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Ad an optical viewfinder to one of your pancake lenses and any E-P or GF body, and you have it for a fraction of the X100 cost. So what if it's not built-in? At least the frame is not cluttered with informations which can only distract for action or street shots.
    All I miss on the combo is the manual zone focusing scale present on a simple Lumix LX3... or any "legacy" glass.

5. Welcome to the forum, Biro.

6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello Biro and another Aussie welcome.

7. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
  8. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Welcome!

9. Originally Paterson but left Jersey just as the earth cooled and the Falls were formed.