Greetings from Pakistan

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by stealthfixr, Jul 7, 2012.

1. stealthfixr

stealthfixr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    I am a US military member deployed to Pakistan, and I recently sold a Canon 20D body and several L series lenses to get the Olympus OM-D with the 12-50 lens (I am amazed how small it is), the Pany 45-200 telezoom, and the Pany 25/f1.4 lens that has not arrived yet. I am hoping to add a wide angle prime like the Oly 12/f2 and perhaps the Rokinon 7.5mm/f3.5 fisheye soon as well.

I've been shooting for about 35 years, having started with B&W film and darkrooms as a kid. I've since moved from that to color slide film, went back to B&W for awhile, then jumped to digital with the 20D about eight years ago.

I love the freedom and flexibility digital provides, but I'd started to dislike the size and weight of my Canon kit. And, as a result, I didn't take as many places as I would have liked. The L series lenses were unquestionably nice and sharp, but weighed a ton and weren't small by any means.

I just got my OM-D a few days ago, and I am amazed at how small & light it is, yet still produces amazing image quality. Some pixel peepers might find flaws in the sensor size or the inability to do some particular niche task. I think that for the far majority of photographers, something like the OM-D/m4/3rds (high IQ, yet small/light) is the wave of the future.

It seems a lot of you agree!
    • Like Like x 4
  2. stealthfixr

stealthfixr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    Wow...did I fart in the room or something??
  3. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    How 'bout a hooah from a Soldier stateside for a welcome. Wish I'd had my OM-D in Iraq with me instead of the little point and shoot I took.

As to the second post, you'd have to ask your battle buddy about.
  4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Welcome! Wow - that was a big leap to OM-D. Talk about jumping in with both feet! :smile:

I was "deployed" to Pakistan a few years ago - i.e., the software company I was working for sent me to do some programming/demo/sales (really - one man team) work. That was during the time the tension was really rising in that part of the world, and as if on cue, a bomb went off very near the hotel I am staying at on my second day of stay. Good times. :biggrin:

Anyway, good luck, keep safe, and I'm awaiting your pictures!
  5. stealthfixr

stealthfixr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    Just a couple newbie-to-OM-D-shots...

• Like Like x 6
  6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Welcome to ยต4/3. Good luck with the OM-D.
    Stay Safe,
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome! Nice shots - I really like the next to last, great night photo. :biggrin:
  8. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Thanks for sharing! I'm a big fan of conveyer belt sushi!