Greetings from NYC

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by zacster, Nov 4, 2011.

1. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    Hi. I don't own a u43 yet, but I'm looking for something for my daughter to use. She wants a new camera since her Canon point and shoot no longer works after about 2 years. I find this typical for these, particularly with kids.

Anyway, not long after I bought my daughters (twins) each the Canon, I bought myself the Lumix FZ35, a superzoom. The kids all preferred my camera to their PAS. She wants a new camera, like mine she says, but I was thinking a step up would be even better, and these fit the bill, for more money of course.

I haven't decided Oly or Panny yet, and the Sony and Nikon mirrorless aren't out of the picture, but a lot less likely. I think a trip to B&H is in order to fondle all of them to get a sense of what they're like. Unfortunately they close early today, and are closed tomorrow too, so maybe Sunday.
  2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Welcome aboard zacster. Very cool to get some serious camera gear for the kids!

If/when I go that route I think I'd be tempted to start with an Olympus model, just because they (to my eye) produce much better JPEG images straight out of the camera.

Let us know what you do and how it works out.
  3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    --theyre cute, the lenses and bodies dont look out of proportion like sonys does(we own a nex 5n, so im not just a sony hater here)
    --they come in pink and red and white and young girls may find this REALLY appealing... or KVG & Doug (teehee)
    --the smaller sensors limitations(noise/lack of useable high ISO) prolly wont matter to a younger person just getting really into photography
    --they are PRICEY for what you get tho, IMO

--i think this is more for either people that just wanna pick up a camera and take a good photo(the great high iso allows more keepers and less "why is my pic blurry???" shots) or for people that appreciate the benefits of the larger sensor
    --the lenses(other than the 16mm prime) all seem rather large on the tiny bodies. but if she/they enjoy the bigger SLRS, this may be a good option, as the size wouldnt bug them as much then, id think.(or the a35 dslr from sony, which is on sale at B&H Photo-Video for $650 thru the end of nov)

--retro(ep3 - i own one) or P&S(epm1(i want one)/epl3) styling with lotsa color options
    --compromise between the sony and the nikon sensors, performance wise
    --lenses and bodies arent mismatched much(other than the X-300 zooms, but hey! lol)
    --lotsa m4/3 lenses as options
    --in body image stablization
    --people tend to like olympus jpgs right out of the camera often
    --fast AF

--i dunno much, but i like their brown(slightly purple) color :)
    --uses lens stabilization, not in body
    --lotsa m4/3 lenses as options
    --i felt that the gf3 that i tested along with the epm1 (both as best buy next to each other) felt just as fast with the AF... so if its slower.. its not by much(with kit zooms)
    --hopefully someone more panasonic minded will chime in, as i just dont know enuf! im just not personally a fan of the mini dslr styling, or the rectangle block bodies.. shrug

i would take them/her down to bestbuy and pretend you are looking to upgrade yourself, and see which one they just play with the most
    and ask them "oh, you like that one? why that one? is it better than this one?" and let them/her babble away and give you more clues
    then end the event with "well, your mother would kill me anyways, so ill probably just stick to what i have
    and then make them look at AMC war-umentaries on blu ray to throw them further off the scent ;)

theres my babble! :D
    welcome aboard, and let us know which you picked, and why! its always nice to be nosey into someone elses decision making process! :D heheh
  4. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    No need to try to fool her. She already knows what I'm looking at. One thing she did ask about is whether these have all the modes of my FZ35. I'll have to check out the manuals to see exactly what they can do. I find most of the modes overkill myself.
  5. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    Had a chance to fondle both of them, the EPM-1 and GF3, at Best Buy. This being Brooklyn, both were tied down and the EPM-1 wasn't working, probably the battery. The sales clerk wasn't helpful either, except to point out the package deal with a long zoom on the Panny. I'll go to B&H during the week to check them out for real.

My impression though was that the EPM-1 felt more solid in the hand, and is slightly smaller.
  6. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Tried the E-PL3 and PM1 the other day, they are really fast and IQ is nice also in the Jpegs
    And welcome, too!