Greetings from Northern Colorado!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by ScottE22, Apr 15, 2010.

1. ScottE22

ScottE22 New to Mu-43

Apr 9, 2010
    Loveland, CO, USA
    Hi all - been lurking for a week or so now and thought I'd post an introduction. I've always had an interest in photography since my dad gave me his old Minolta XD-7 when I was a kid.*

I jumped into digital with a Canon G1 (still can't believe I paid almost $1,000 for that camera!!). Before my son was born, I bought the original Canon Digital Rebel which I still have. Over the last year or so I've been feeling like it's time to replace the Rebel body as I have a couple decent lenses but the 6 MP Rebel is showing it's age... Six years is a long time for a digital camera!!

Also worth noting is that we have two kids and while we love to head to the mountains and hike, the DRebel is a lot to haul around. So a couple years ago, I bought a Panasonic Lumix TZ-5 point-and-shoot and love it. It's what we end up bringing with us on the trail 90% of the time. I miss the lenses and DSLR capabilities, but I can carry it in a pocket and carry my 3 year old daughter if necessary.

I have been looking at the Rebel T2i just because that seemed like the logical choice to replace the rebel, but in the back of my mind I've always had this nagging feeling that I will either feel required to haul it on hikes or guilty that I bought a $700 body that I DON'T bring on hikes....

Then I saw this: http://craigmod.com/journal/gf1-fieldtest/

That was my first exposure to micro 4/3 photography. There's not a whole lot of info about micro 4/3 on the web (at least compared to "traditional" photography) and life got crazy so I more or less didn't think about it again for a while. Then I was listening a week or so ago to an episode of This Week in Photography and Derrick Story mentioned the Olympus E-PL1 in passing and I started looking again.

As much as the gadget-hound in me wants to believe I'm a serious photographer who needs a DSLR, the reality of it is that most days the Panasonic is all I need. I like to take pictures, not feel like a Sherpa hauling gear around. There are occasions, however, when I want more control over the exposure or the ability to shoot wildlife in RMNP with a longer lens. Is mu-43 the perfect middle ground?

I'm still in the info gathering phase right now, but I hope to have the funds for a new camera by this summer. Originally, I was looking at the GF1, but lately I've had my eye on the E-PL1. If my rudimentary understanding of micro 4/3 photography is correct, I can always change between the brands and still use the other brand's lenses. And getting into the format for around $600-$700 for s decent kit is attractive.

Anyway - this is long enough as it is. I look forward to interacting with all of you on the forums!

2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Scott, thanks for de-lurking and for taking the time to write your introduction. Ask as many questions as you like - there are quite a few great threads on the different cameras and even some comparing them. Looking forward to your becoming part of the discussions here - and welcome!:smile:

4. ScottE22

ScottE22 New to Mu-43

Apr 9, 2010
    Loveland, CO, USA
    Thanks for the welcome! Lots to read and learn here. I'll definitely ask when I need to!!

• Like Like x 2