Greetings from Nashville

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by TomServo, Apr 22, 2014.

1. TomServo

TomServo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Brandon Jackson
    Hello all, new member here. Will be going home to unbox my new EM1 this evening. I've been shooting for a long time starting with a Minolta SRT-101 back in the mid 80's. I started selling camera gear in 1987 at a local camera shop here in Nashville and started building up Oly equipment, Specifically OM-1's and 2's. I had 8 lenses, a couple of the winders and I absolutely loved that kit. I used it to shoot everything, portrait work, some portfolio shots for some aspiring model friends, and local high school and Vandy basketball games for a time. I eventually sold off the OM gear and started shooting medium format for a while starting with a Bronica S2a (old even then) and then had a complete Kiev 88 system. Yes, probably two of the most unreliable med format systems one could own but they never let me (completely) down.
    I got out of the camera business in the late 90's after stints at wolf camera and the local shops and started doing IT work which is what i still do now. I quit shooting for a while but then picked up my first DSLR, a sigma SD9 about 10 years ago (has it been that long). I enjoyed the images out of it but could missed to many images due tot he slower nature of the SD9. Since then I have had Fuji, Pentax, and currently Nikon DSLR's, namely the D200. I love the D200 but I hate carrying it and the hefty glass around (I'm lazy) so I am gong back to my first love, Olympus. When I saw the EM-5 and later the EM-1 I knew I needed to have one so the Nikon gear is going up for sale this week and the collecting of OM/Panny glass begins.

I currently have the EM-1, the FT 14-54 2.8-3.5 and the adapter for said lens. I opted for the older glass here as i could get speed and good optics for relatively cheap and give up super fast focus (for now). Lenses I'm looking to collect are...

Panny 45-150 for quick action med tele on a budget
    the OM 45mm f 1.8 portrait lens
    the sigma 60 2.8 also portrait lens but longer.
    the panny 12-32 as a travel/walkabout lens

The 45 and 60 may or may not both stay with me as I want to try them both out. I prefer shooting people with a 135 or 105 so the sigma will be closer to my liking but we'll see.

sorry to be so long winded :)

2. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Welcome & enjoy your new gear!

I did my last hospital rotation at Vanderbilt! I still miss Nashville and the great people I met there :smile:

3. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Hello from Murfreesboro.

I think we are a fairly small group, but I do know there are some micro 4/3 shooters in middle TN. Bumped into one at Dury's just the other day. Just don't ask Dury's staff about micro 4/3; they'll look at you like you're speaking a foreign language.

Sounds like you've made some sensible choices for your kit. Hope you enjoy it.

See you around.

4. TomServo

TomServo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Brandon Jackson
    Yeah, i used to work for Dury's back in the 80's and 90's (went back and forth between there and Wolf Camera over 10 years).Not the same place it used to be but for pro gear they are still pretty much the only game in town. I was down there a few weeks ago to see if they had an X-t1 on hand to play with and saw a couple of people I used to work with.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TomServo

TomServo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Brandon Jackson
    Taz, I work for the competition, HCA. :)

6. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Ha, that's cool! I moved to NYC, but I wouldn't mind living in Nashville later in life :smile: