Greetings from Nashville

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by prayformojo, Mar 2, 2010.

1. prayformojo

prayformojo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2010
    I just purchased an E-PL1 last week and have found myself pulled into the world of micro 4/3 cameras. I love the form factor, picture quality and videos from the E-PL1, but am less than thrilled with the AF lag.

I purchased the camera in anticipation of my daughter's birth later this month and from my experience taking pictures when my son was little focus speed is critical. I would rather not go the DSLR route, but the speed difference is hard to get past.

I need to check out the GF-1 which seems to have a faster AF as well as play with some lens/body combos, from my research it appears that the AF issues with the Pen series can be mitigated by using Panny lenses. As for a DSLR I have my eye on the Nikon D5000, but I am not convinced the video will be as good and I love the size of the micro 4/3 format. Anybody else in the same boat and any recommendations are greatly appreciated. I enjoy the site, some very talented photographers here with tons of knowledge.
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Hey mojo,
    Welcome....what lens ya got?
  3. prayformojo

prayformojo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2010
    Just the standard kit lens that comes with the E-PL1, its the 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens, that collapses for storage.

If I stay with the micro 4/3 format I would most likely look at picking up the Panny 20mm prime and the 45-200mm f4-5.6 telephoto. I assume that the AF with both of these would be greatly improved, but the cost starts to mount.
  4. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The 20 focuses faster than the zoomie....The 17 is only slightly slower....
    The Panny 14-45 focuses faster than the Oly 14-42.....and it's build is better.
    The Panny has better contrast and resolution.....
  5. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome Mojo!

Have a nice day.
    Kind regards, Herman
  6. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    In my old slow poke age the ep's focus is fast enough for me.... I love the 17mm and playing around with the little zoom. You will not be unhappy anyways you go.

Oh btw....welcome. good folks here :)
  7. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Welcome to the forum prayformojo :friends:

If you look in the Olympus forum, there's a thread at the top of the list which I've made sticky - there are some brief videos showin how to set up the Pen. In those I describe how I'd recommend you set autofocus for the best performance.

I'm on the iPhone now, but will be happy to discuss how to get fast action shots with this configuration. It takes a bit of practice and predicting the action - that's all.

If you click on my blogs number top right of this post - you'll find some action shots I took of my dog with the E-P2.

Hope that helps,

8. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

9. Enrique

Enrique Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Wellcome prayformojo. Enjoy your cam, you can do a lot of things with it :smile:
  10. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome from another new recruit.
  11. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Mojo ,
    It would be a great help to some of us with better halves that can't keep their mitts off our Pen's, if you could post some images a review of the camera.
    It could save us all a camera and a marriage.
  12. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Mojo! Don aka Streetshooter's suggestion is a great one. There are at least 4 people, I believe, on the forum who have either just started on this camera or are about to. Many are interested to see what it's all about.:wink:
  13. prayformojo

prayformojo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2010
    Thanks for all the great advice, I am really leaning towards keeping the e-pl1 and picking up some additional lenses to go with it. I watched some more youtube videos last night and the AF speed seems fine with other lenses. The kit lenses is very cool though with the collapsing mechanism.

I am an extreme novice when it comes to photography. In the past we have always had P&S cameras, albeit good ones, they were still just P&S cameras.

I was drawn to the Pen series by the form factor/picture quality combo. I wanted a camera that was small enough to carry most places that we go and not overwhelming.

The E-PL1 fits the bill, the quality of the shots are amazing, I will attach a close up of my son that just amazed me. Again, I am a complete novice. The DOF is great and totally a new concept given our past with only P&S.

I also shoot a lot of video and really want an all in one device. The E-PL1 works great to this end, I have shot a couple of videos and the end results were very good, but most importantly they were easy to upload to youtube and edit using Adobe Premiere, this has not been the case in the past with other camcorders/cameras. As for the 7 minute or so time limit to clips, I have learned over the years that no matter how cool something that I shoot video of seems, more than 2-3 minutes of a given take will ensure that it is never watched again. I plan on shooting quick clips to post for family and friends on youtube.

Being a novice, I also really appreciate the art filters. Corny I know, but I love them. I realize I could get similar effects using Photoshop or another editing program, but I love the fact I can shoot with these effects in real time and see the results on the screen. Plus I have never been one to spend a lot of time editing photos.

Another important aspect of the camera is the low light capabilities, I like shooting inside without a flash and this camera has performed extremely well under these circumstances.

Really my only negative is the AF speed and it seems like I can mitigate that by playing with the settings some, learning a little more about photography and getting the Panny 20mm lens.

I will continue to throw out other thoughts as I learn the ins/outs of the camera, but so far I really love it.

Thanks for the warm welcome, some other sites I have checked have not been as friendly and every post turns into a Pen vs. Panny war, with little real facts or helpful info provided.
  14. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Thanks so much mojo. I love the Art Filters on the E-P2, not ashamed to say so.

Nice review of why you've bought this camera. When you use it a bit, please let us know more over on this thread I started for you and the others on here with the E-PL1: This way everyone who is interested now and in the future will have a jumping off place.

I think it sounds great!:thumbup:
  15. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Greetings just south from you! I'm from Huntsville, AL, and have visited Nasvhille manytimes. Wow, the type of street photography I could do if I lived in Nashville!

At any rate, the GF1 does have faster focusing, but I don't know if its that much more noticable. I think if you are wanting to take pictures as your child starts growing up and running around, the best option just might be a PDAF type SLR camera.
  16. prayformojo

prayformojo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2010
    I saw the other thread and will copy some of my initial impressions over there as well. One more thing I forgot to mention is the diorama art filter, I have been enamored with the concept of tilt shift since I first saw examples of it a few years back and to have the capability in-camera with the ability to shoot tilt shift video is a very cool prospect. While it is a total novelty, it still is very fun.
    • Like Like x 1