Greetings from Music City, USA

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Allan Crowson, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Nashville, TN, that is.

The first camera I ever held was an old Brownie, as a pre-teen. No one told me I had to advance the film in between exposures, and there was no mechanism to force me to do so…a very discouraging first experience.

Fast forward several years, and I was enthralled with the new Olympus OM system. The OM-1, followed by an OM-2n and an OM-2sp, were my companions through a number of years, including a number of years living in west Africa and in France. Heavy work and family responsibilities then kept me out of photography about the time digital was beginning to come on strong. I woke up one day and realized that I needed to move into digital, but could not afford the kind of equipment I wanted. I went through a couple of Sony digicams, including the 707, which had a form factor that I still miss. Finally, back into Olympus with the E-300 two lens kit, and the 14-54 (love that lens).

Unfortunately, by that time, I had already sold the remaining OM kit. I hated to see it go, especially the 85mm/2, but it had to be done.

The E-300 and lenses will follow their path to new ownership, however, in order to repair the damage to the budget that the E-PL1 has caused. But I may hang onto the 14-54…. Anyway, the kit currently is the E-PL1 with 14-42 and EVF, and the 14-150, which I really enjoy.

Some day when I work up the courage, I'll submit a few, but am in no hurry.
    I've been reading on this site for some time, and referred to it frequently when trying to decide on the replacement for the E-300 (the candidates were E-620, G1, and E-PL1).
    • Like Like x 2
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Allan - you will have fun with the new gear.
  3. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Good to have you here Allan. Thanks for saying hello and introducing yourself.

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Allan, let me add my thanks for your introduction. I smiled ruefully when I read that part where you wrote
    How many others have been through something similar?!

Congratulations upon your E-PL1 and please don't hesitate to post your photographs. You can easily add them to the with great comfort. We have such a wide variety of members here from the professionals to the neophytes with many of us in between, so I'll look forward to seeing some of your pictures when you have the time to post them. Very glad to have you here!
  5. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello and welcome Allan from Holland ! Congrats on your new gear.
  6. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Hello and welcome! I was in Nashville a couple of years ago when I only had a point and shoot. Now with my G1/GF1 I would love to go back and take all the pictures I didn't take in all of the music venues because I didn't have anything like the 20/1.7.
  7. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome Allan, and hello from Scotland :smile: Great that you're enjoying your photography. I have a G1 and e-p1, and am happily shooting with some OM lenses :smile: