Greetings from London

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Ben, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Ben

Ben Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Apr 16, 2009
    London
    Probably time to do this (having initially lurked and now merrily joined in a few threads!).

Londoner born and bred. Living here now (with some stops in between).

Been keen on photography since I was little kid. Camera trajectory, excluding point and shoots (drum roll).....

- Canon AE-1 (great camera)
    - Canon EOS 1000 (technological marvel for it's time!)
    - Canon IX7 (APS SLR, horrrible, horrible, horrible. Worst camera I have ever owned. Not a single print left.)
    - Leica M6 (Loved it. Regret selling it.)
    - Canon EOS 300D (Can you see a theme developing? Sold the Leica to finance the purchase. Probably a mistake but I was a digital convert.)
    - Canon EOS 350D (Had some money. Body was all black and better built.)
    - Canon 5D (Hoorah - a sensor the same size as film. I maintain this is one of the best and most important cameras ever made. Won't ever sell it.)
    - Panasonic G1 (Love it. The 5D has been sadly neglected).

I used to dabble in the darkroom and now I struggle with Lightroom and Nik plug-ins.

I just completed a shot a day project (all posted on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/benobryan/) which was really rewarding and has re-invigorated me.

I like street photography (not very good at it) and what I would call observational photography (geometric patterns, light and shadow, quirky aspects). Can't abide shooting or looking at classical chocolate box landscapes (but do love the simple stuff that isolates certain aspects - thanks Uncle Ansel!).

Micro Four Thirds gear:
    G1
    17 (sold)
    14-45
    45-200
    OM adaptor (with 24 2.8, 50 1.8 and 50 macro)
    OM tilt shift adaptor
    4/3 adaptor (adapted Hexanon 40 1.8)

Why am I shooting Micro Four Thirds? It's small, I can carry it everywhere and I am in love with the live histogram. Oh yes, and I can buy cheap lenses from eBay rather than expensive L and Zeiss glass!

That's probably enough (I can hear that snoring in the back!).

• Like Like x 6
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Welcome Ben, and thanks for sharing your background - really appreciate that!

Hope to meet you on a future jaunt to Londinium :drinks:

Cheers

Brian

3. Ben

Apr 16, 2009
    London
    Thanks Brian

I have chuckled so many times at your DPReview forum postings.... Looking forward to those drinks!

4. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Hi and welcome!

What adapter do you need for the Hexanon to GF1? They look like great lenses!

5. Ben

Apr 16, 2009
    London
    Hi Andy

My Hexanon (USD 40 or 50) from eBay was already adapted for four thirds so I have a cheap 4/3 to M4/3 adaptor from jinfinance on eBay.

He now does these for the unadapted ones: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Konica-AR-len...ItemQQptZLens_Accessories?hash=item19b448a242.

It is a great lens (especially for the money). Pancake (although not so pancakey once it's on the adaptor). Here's an example.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/benobryan/3927346142/" title="Sophia by Ben Oh, on Flickr">[​IMG]"375" height="500" alt="Sophia" /></a>

6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Welcome

Welcome Ben,

You have had a good brace of cameras in the past and great to see you on this forum.

We have a great group of friendly, helpful and genuine members and you will get a lot out of membership here as I have to date.

Enjoy,
    Ian:thumbup:

7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

An official greeting from me, too! Glad to have you aboard.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sorry, html was off in this forum. It was an oversight. Should be fixed now.

9. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Hi and welcome, this forum is looking to be excellent, very friendly and informative

10. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    a HEXANON LENS ? now you have my attention

11. Ben

Apr 16, 2009
    London
    It's a Konica Hexanon AR 40mm F1.8. They can easily be adapted for four thirds as the register is the same - there are a few websites that tell you how. I bought mine already adapted and am using it with a standard four thirds to micro four thirds adaptor.

You can now get adaptors for Hexanon lenses that have not been fiddled with.

12. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member