Greetings from Istanbul

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by greg57, Aug 6, 2010.

1. greg57

greg57 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2010
    Istanbul
    Gregory Dziedzic
    Hi :)

I'm a French guy living in Istanbul for 6 years now. I started photography some 10 years ago in journalism school with a Pentax MZ-50, which, if not a great camera, was light and easy to use... I've been shooting pictures for work with digital SLR for a few years now but realized it's not the kind of gear I can easily hang around with. Missing street photography but refusing to walk around with an anvil around my neck, I've been keeping an eye on what was going on in the realm of small SLRs, but was not convinced... Then heard about micro 4 3, spent a few months investigating, pondering hesitating, and once month ago bought a complete GF1 kit with the 20mm pancake , the 14-45 zoom (which I nearly never use I have to say), the evf, a 16GB high speed sandisk...
    I love it. I'm doing B&W with it and intent to purchase an Epson 3880 as well for its purportedly exceptional B%W renderings...
    But I'm getting carried away (also received the dirty cheap SLR Magic 35mm 1:1.7 today, can't wait to try it!)

Looking forward to see you guys in the forum! :)

• Like Like x 6
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Greg, thanks so much for your introduction - loved the image of you with an anvil around your neck! I don't think anyone on this site can ever get too carried away discussing their gear interests.:wink: But now that you've gotten your intro out of the way, I do hope you'll post some of your photographs soon.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  3. greg57

greg57 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2010
    Istanbul
    Gregory Dziedzic
    For sure I will! Just gimme time to go to (tomorrow morning) and come back from holidays :wink:

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

How exciting! We'll be here waiting, Greg.:wink:

5. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Hi Greg,

I'm going to Istanbul in 2 weeks time, any suggestion which place to visit ? :)

6. greg57

greg57 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2010
    Istanbul
    Gregory Dziedzic
    Oh well, it depends very much on how long you intend to stay. Try not to do too much, it's a tiring city for transport and temperature is well over 30. I suggest:

- the old Istanbul (the "tourist centre"): Aghia Sofia, the Blue Mosque, Topkapı, the underground cistern, the grand Bazaar, the Egyptian bazaar, Eminonu peer...
    These are all in the same area - which is most probably where you will be staying, and you should pick and choose otherwise you'll spend all your time there...

- from the aforementioned Eminonu peer, a trip on the Bosphorus.

- definitely the "real" centre, that is: Taksim square and Istiqlal Caddesi, with a special mention for Nevizade Caddesi for rakı and meze...

- you might also want to have a look to Dolmabahce Palace and the Ortaköy peer with the mosque and bridge postcard view...

Have fun ;)

• Like Like x 4
  7. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    I second Greg's suggestions (Welcome Greg) and would add that a visit to Kanyon Shopping Mall is worth your time, not just for the shopping but because it is such an extraordinary building to photograph. Also if you take the ferry to Kavagi be aware of the prices in the restaurants, the owners all rub their hands when the ferry docks and the prices go sky high!

[​IMG]

8. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Hi Gregg, and Glenn,

Will do.. thanks :thumbup:
    And welcome to the forum, :drinks: can't wait to see your pictures

9. greg57

greg57 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2010
    Istanbul
    Gregory Dziedzic
    :smile: Well, "hoşbulduk" as they say around here (for thanking when someone welcomes you).

:thumbup:

10. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Greg.

11. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Welcome!
    May I suggest a great and cheap eating place in Istanbul, on the Asian side, which is a lively area where there a lot of photo opportunities - the wonderful Çiya.

• Like Like x 4
  12. greg57

greg57 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2010
    Istanbul
    Gregory Dziedzic
    Great place I heard yes! No drinks served though if I'm not mistaken...

• Like Like x 2
  13. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    Hi Greg !

Top of December my wife and I will visit Istanbul for around 5 days. At the moment I'm not so sure about the equipment to carry with me.....
    The Pen E-P2, 20mm Panasonic and the 14-42 is the very convenient small load for my aging back, but what about the light in the beginning of december?

As an owl-eye I could carry my Nikon D300 plus max. 3 primes between f 2,8 and 1,8 aperture but the load and the size of the cam.....

My photographic goal would be street- and people photography.

Thinking about the very famous Ara Güler and his b&w street photographs of common people, I'm really excited to visit Istanbul.
    Thanks a lot for the above hints about places.

Let's see.......

• Like Like x 2
  14. greg57

greg57 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2010
    Istanbul
    Gregory Dziedzic
    Hi Bernd! And thanks to all of you guys for the warm wecome!

As I mentioned before, Istanbul is a quite tiring city when it comes to transportation. After all, it IS a 15 million people gigapole spanning on more than 100 km. Even some interseting/visitable parts can take you hours away! So yeah, the Pen with the 20mm Panasonic will great for that (you're on your own to judge whether or not the AF performance is enough for street shooting - and Istanbul street is moving pretty fast! ;) ).

:)

• Like Like x 2
  15. GaryInOz

GaryInOz Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2010
    Sydney, Oz
    Welcome Greg.

I'm also watching this thread with interest as we will be in Istanbul end of September - seems to be the place to be :cool:.

Thanks for suggestions re places to visit. I am preparing the EPL1 for the adventure - first trip away without an 'anvil' :smile:

16. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    My daughter was there a couple of weeks ago. Someone stole her Canon Rebel in Tokyo last year so she borrowed my wife's Lumix TZ something or other a few months ago and for some reason has not returned it.

I am NOT going to loan her my GF1.

She is documenting her adventures here and as of right now the last two posts were about Istanbul. Kestrel at Sea