Greetings from Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by JonK, Jan 13, 2011.

1. JonK

JonK New to Mu-43

Jan 13, 2011
    Hong Kong
    The arrival of the Pen 1 brought me back into the love of photography after years of indolence having given up film and my B&W darkroom.

I was very frustrated by the focussing limitations in the early days and so added a Leica M9 with an selection of lenses to my bag; the Pen languished...

Then with the firmware updates' improvement in the Pen's performance plus big increases in my processing abilities, I have happily welcomed back my PEN as a viable alternative to my M9, being lighter, cheaper and smaller! I use the pancake 17mm plus the Pan 7-14 and am considering getting a tele-zoom for those times when the M just can't do the job.

I've been reprocessing some of my earlier shots with LR3 plus the Nik Software plugins and been pleasantly surprised!

I look forward to posting and chatting with other members
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Welcome to the forum. I have the Panny 7-14 too and love it, here's a pic I took last year inside the Man Mo Temple in Hollywood Road. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome Jon and Hello from Scotland. Glad you decided to join us. I have an e-p1 too, and I like the images I get out of it. I use it with the 17mm Oly or 20mm Pany, and legacy lenses. Enjoy your photography!

All the best,

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I love your photo, Glenn!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome, JonK, from wintery and snowy New York! Thanks so much for your introduction. It is interesting isn't it what a difference a firmware improvement can make - and how much Lightroom and those nice Nik plug-ins can do. It took me a long time to come around to using both, and I am very glad I finally did.

Glenn - beautiful light in that scene of yours!

JonK, I look forward to your involvement and to your photographs!
  6. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    Hi Jon,

I'm a new member here too and usually go to HK once a year if we can. I love the place so look forward to seeing some of your photos when you get some up here!

Over the years, I've been there with a Sony Cybershot P200, Canon S3iS, 350D, Canon G10, 500D and a Holga. I'm looking forward to hopefully getting over there this Easter with my GF-1. Looking forward to walking around fairly lightly loaded, compared to when I've been lugging around a DSLR the past couple of times!

Don't be shy in getting some links/photos up! :)
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    A big California welcome JonK.

8. briandforever

briandforever Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2010
    waiting to see your hongkong pics :)
  9. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Jon - you have good taste in cameras.
  10. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    A big hello from another HK-er.

That 7-14mm is the perfect lens for the territory.

11. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Thanks, just booked my next trip to HK in May:smile:
  12. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Welcome aboard... I'm sure you'll enjoy the level of quality discussion exhibited here. I know that I have.

13. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    Damn you, I knew it would be and it's looking like I'll be coming over again at beginning of April. It was already on the shopping list but i can see it moving up towards the top! Lol

Do you have any shots in an online album anywhere :smile:

Edit: Whats the 7-14mm retail for in HK anyways? Might be worth my while holding out until I get there!
  14. Rob1975

Rob1975 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2010
  15. shoturtle

Oct 15, 2010
    Welcome, I was just there, had a nice time on vacation.
  16. mking

mking New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2012
    Perth Australia
  17. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Welcome to the forum. I was in HK 3 weeks ago. I met up with another member as well.
    What a nice place for camera gear.
  18. mking

mking New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2012
    Perth Australia
    Thanks David,

Really looking forward to the trip!