1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Greetings from Finland

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Popelotto, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Popelotto

Popelotto Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Finland
    Paavo Niskala
    Hi everybody!

I'm writing from the northern reaches of Europe - Espoo, Southern Finland, to be more precise. I stumbled upon the forum looking for information about cameras and lenses quite some time ago. Lurking had to turn into writing sooner or later, I guess.

I've always liked taking photos, but it was only last September when I finally bought a real camera for myself. That particular device was an Olympus E-PL2. After a few months of shooting with the kit lens I bought the Panasonic 20mm pancake, recommended by many fine people from this forum amongst others. In the summer I bought the Olympus 45mm portrait lens. This wasn't going to be enough, however. Before the end of the summer I gave in and bought Olympus OM-D E-M5. My latest addition is the Panasonic 14mm pancake. I also got a GF3 with the lens (or the other way around), but I think I'll sell it sooner or later. I'm also in the process of selling of selling my E-PL2 and the kit lens (14-42mm).

Photography is not my main hobby and I'm still a beginner. You might wonder why I've been buying all this equipment if I'm still learning the basics. I just happened to have some money and wanted to give it a go. One of my motivations for buying new gear has been to be able to take photos during trips to press events and alike, as I tend to do some writing about video games.

For example, visiting Gamescom in Cologne made me realize I really needed a wide angle lens. Trying to capture the masses of people with the 20mm didn't work. The Oly 12mm felt too expensive and the 9-18mm might not have been fast enough as I shoot indoors a lot and I like to not to use flash, so Panasonic 14mm it was. I'm trying to learn this stuff as I go, trying to see what kind of lenses and techniques I need for certain situations.

So currently my gear consists of Olympus OM-D E-M5 (black), Panasonic 14mm, Panasonic 20mm and Olympus 45mm. A fairly usual set of primes, you might say. I bought the OM-D as a body only, although I've been pondering if I should have taken the kit lens with it. The weatherproofing could've been useful, but I intended to save the money for other, more useful lenses.

Next on my list is the Olympus 40-150mm as I've heard it's an excellent lens for the price. I haven't really used telephoto lenses yet, so it should be interesting to experience with the longer focal lengths too. Sadly the winter is coming and so we start to have ever less light of day here in Finland. Without snow it can be really dark and sad.

I'm also looking for a decent bag to hold my camera gear and other stuff. I don't know yet if I want a messenger style bag or a backpack. I've been using a cheap and very basic messenger bag for my stuff, but it has no separate compartments for my gear or padding to soften up the bumps. I've been ogling Lowepro's selection, like Hatchback and Passport Sling, but haven't been able to find Passport Sling II here in Finland yet. I'd really like to try the bag before actually buying it.

But yeah, maybe that's enough for an introduction post. :D

I've got tons of photos on my computer and I've been uploading some of them to Flickr. You might guess that I'm very fond of cats by looking at my current gallery. I really need to learn to post process this stuff, also. Buy Lightroom, maybe.

• Like Like x 3
  2. tubedriver

tubedriver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Shaun
    Hi Popelotto,

I enjoyed reading your introduction. Welcome to our forum!

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum! Thanks for providing us with a good introduction, looking forward to seeing some of your photos!:cool:

4. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Another Finn? Nice. Tervetuloa foorumille! I'm pretty sure you will enjoy your stay here. :biggrin:

5. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Welcome to the forum!Enjoy your new camera!