Greetings from Chicago!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Rich_Young, May 9, 2010.

1. Rich_Young

Rich_Young New to Mu-43

May 9, 2010
    Chicago
    Hello all!

I am very excited to be part of this forum as I continue my photographic journey. I have been a member of DPReview for quite a number of years. And if you look at my profile and postings there, you will see that I have experimented with many different types of cameras. To be honest, I miss my first Nikon camera bought in 1985. It served me well, and I loved film. Since my forays into digital, I have never had that perfect fit...until now (fingers crossed) with my Olympus E-PL1. Heck, I even had the E-P1 and sold that since it was almost, but not quite what I was hoping for (at least re the lcd). Anyhow, I feel that the E-PL1 will serve my needs well and kick-start my muse again.

I guess that is what I am hoping to encounter here (no pressure, now!). I have lurked for a week or so, and I really appreciate the spirit of community and artistry present here. There is a sense of civility that I am happy to share in. I look forward to learning much and hopefully sharing a bit of what I have to offer, such as it is.

As you can see from my profile, I am a priest and a teacher. I enjoy photography as a spiritual exercise. I am even having my students (sophomore boys) record images and offer reflections on them with the beginning "The Kingdom of God is like..." I hope that providing photography as a tool for theology can be both fun and a stretch.

Finally, and I offer this for what it's worth, I am excited to share some of the philosophy of image recording. I have come upon the insight for myself that I do agree with many of the Indigenous who speak of photographers capturing their soul or spirit. Maybe that is what photography is in a sense, not necessarily capturing, but rather, breathing in the spirit of life through our eyes....as it reveals itself in light, shadow and color. Having never taken a photography course, I could be all wet, too.....so you decide...and please be gentle!

Anyhow, it is good to be here, and I look forward to the day when I can share some images and conversation with all of you in the very near future.

Peace,
    Rich

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Rich, thank you very much for your thoughtful introduction and welcome! I'll be looking forward to seeing some of your photographs.:biggrin:

3. Rich_Young

Rich_Young New to Mu-43

May 9, 2010
    Chicago
    Thanks!

Thanks so much for the kind words of welcome!

4. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
  5. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome Rich ! Great to have you here.

6. Rich_Young

Rich_Young New to Mu-43

May 9, 2010
    Chicago
    Thanks HODAD66 and Herman! Good to be here!

7. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i wish i was young and rich like you .....lol anyway cheers and a hearty welcome from nyc

ep1 gf1 ricoh gx 200 nikond80

8. Rich_Young

Rich_Young New to Mu-43

May 9, 2010
    Chicago
    I wish!

Rich and Young only in name....heck, I am a noun made from two adjectives!
    Anyhow, thanks for the welcome. I enjoy what I am reading here. Haven't had too much time to go take pics with grading papers and all. But maybe I will have time this weekend to share a bit. I really enjoy the conversations and the images presented here.

Peace!

Poor old Rich Young :biggrin: