Greetings from a recent Canon APS-C to MFT convert

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by diableri, Feb 23, 2014.

1. diableri

diableri Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2014
    Central CA
    Hello all, I wanted to say thank you for this excellent resource. I've been toying with the idea of a smaller, lighter system for a bit now and finally decided to make the change. I'd been researching them for a few years now and wound up purchasing a rebel and some glass which served me well. I was after a light package with diverse lens choice that would focus on my young nephews while we traveled and vacationed as they grew. I looked at the EM5 and was just a bit shy of the AF speed on the lens I tried on it at the time when it first came out.

Now that I have been planning a few trips that offer some weather that my current camera and lenses are not exactly perfect for (Ireland in the off season and Iceland), I started to look again. After reading up on the systems again I gave the EM-1 a try this weekend with the 12-40 and was sold. It was pretty much the perfect compromise against the canon equivalent and much more pleasant sounding to carry for 12-16 hours a day. :smile:

Looking forward to learning the quirks of the system and trying to make sense of the menu on this little power house. I started to read the manual, gave up and figured out how to get it into manual, set my ISO, Shutter and Aperture. Next up is some figure out how to set exposure compensation, focus peaking and focus points quickly. At that point I figure I can get by in a pinch and try to learn as I go. :tongue: I also need to learn about adapters and if controlling flashes are the same etc.

Thank you all for the great image threads and all the information on the site. It's a huge boon just like PotN has been for the Canon system in the past. I can't say I'm sorry to give up that size and weight though. Looking forward to the new weather sealed lenses, they can't get here fast enough!

Sorry for the crummy camera phone photo, it was at hand. Best camera is the one you have and all that! And... well, I'm too lazy to get one of the canons out of the bag. :redface:
    pfKzSk4nK1c.

2. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Welcome into the fold, much to learn you have.

Don't look to me though, I'm in the same boat - for now. :biggrin:

3. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Welcome, I made the switch back in 2009 and finally sold all my Canon APS-C glass a year and a half ago. Don't miss it one bit. Hope you enjoy m43 as much as I have!