Greetings everyone!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by poli4465, Jan 10, 2013.

1. poli4465

poli4465 New to Mu-43

Jan 10, 2013
    Hello,

Just thought I'd introduce myself here after lurking for the last week or so. This forum is great and has given me a lot of information and ideas! I'm stepping up from a P&S and just purchased the GF5X through Groupon for $399. My question is -- everyone seems to be high on the panasonic 20mm -- is it worth the immediate jump from the 14-42x kit lens? I shoot mainly the kids (we're exprecting our 4th in April, gulp!) and the dog, so I'm thinking it'd be worth it. Apologies if I should repost this elsewhere. Thanks and nice to meet all of you -

~Patrick

2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Hi Patrick, welcome!

For fast moving action like kids and dogs I would be wary of the 20mm. It is probably the slowest focusing lens in the system. Try out the kit lens and if you cant get the shots you want (low light for example) you can look at adding a lens. The new 17mm might be a nice option if you like the focal length. It is more expensive though.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

3. shockaaa

shockaaa Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
    The 20mm lens is very practical you can shoot just about anything from landscapes to portraits but its auto focus is slow. Its small, light and easily pocket-able.

If you have slightly higher budget take a took at the 14-140mm, its got image stabilization, but not as sharp as the 20mm. Good over all lens and its always in my camera bag.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome - the 25mm is more expensive than the 20 but it's faster both in terms of focus speed and aperture. :cool:

5. poli4465

poli4465 New to Mu-43

Jan 10, 2013
    Thanks for the replies. I'd definitely be interested in the 25mm, I'm just debating if it's worth the extra expense.

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Poli4465!

Welcome to the forum.

As to your question, I would suggest that you try the kit lens to see if it will meet your needs. If not, then you can look at additional gear that will address the specific issue. You'll save a lot of money that way :biggrin:.

As noted, the pricier 25mm is faster to focus than the otherwise excellent 20mm.

Regards,

Jim

7. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Welcome to the forum!